From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
don2000

Possibility to choose TRUE or FALSE state when case structure is placed on block diagramm

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined. 

When pulling the case structure to the block diagramm, it would be quite handy to choose whether it is TRUE or FALSE, e.g. by pressing CTRL for FALSE state.

6 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Are you proposing this as an alternative to "right-click, Make This Case False"?

elset191
Active Participant

Sounds like he wants it to drop as False as the case that's shown when it's dropped.  Sometimes.  If you're holding a key.

I think dropping it, and then CTRL+Scroll is already an awfully fast way to switch to see the false case.  (Ditto for Enabled, Disabled that this fella also posted)

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
altenbach
Knight of NI

This applies primarily when the case structure is dropped around existing code. I think in ancient LabVIEW  versions, the existing code lived on in the FALSE case (If I remember right), while it now is in the TRUE case. This is a good default.

Picking the right case is a very small programming effort compared to filling the other case with code, adding cases as needed for numeric selectors, etc.. I don't think this idea would really speed up coding overall.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Altenbach: It sounds like you, like me, believe that the user is looking for a faster way to say "Make This Case False".

don2000: Is this the case? Before we debate merits, I'd like to make sure we know what you're asking for.

don2000

Hi there,

YES, I'd like to speed up the case selection. It happens quite regularily that i put a CASE structure around already existing code, and a lot of times i have too switch to the correct case afterwards. And that is pretty annoying. With holding down a key (e.g. CTRL) I could decide on creation which state I want the code in.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.