From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Ian_Ren

Pair of type def control and type def control reference

Functionality already available in LabVIEW. See comments for more details.

At the moment, if you use a reference of a type def to pass info to other indicators, and then change the type def, the wires from the reference to these indicators are broken. It is quite painful to manually fix all these broken wires. It may reduce some pain, but does not solve the problem even if you make these indicators type def.

It will be really nice if the reference of a type def control can also be defined as a type def and paired with the original type def. When the original type def is changed, this type def for reference is changed automatically.

6 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

This should already happen today. Which LV version are you using?

Also, right click the reference indicator and select Show Control. This should show you the data type which should have the typedef options. If it doesn't, you can select the typedef and drag it into the indicator and then it should.

I am using the most up to date LabVIEW 2011, but my LabVIEW knowledge is appearantly not most up to date.

Many thanks, It really helps.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

Ian,

Does tst's information satisfy this idea? If so then I will Decline it as Already Implemented in LabVIEW. Thanks!

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Also, if you can demonstrate a case where this is not happening, this may a bug which needs to be fixed, so you should provide a set of steps to reproduce the issue.

It works. Thanks.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Functionality already available in LabVIEW. See comments for more details.