LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Manzolli

New Palette for Old Stuff

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

How about creating a palette called "Legacy" or "Old Fashioned" to put controls that we should avoid using and should kept for cases of extreme necessity or compatibility with old code. Examples are the "Stacked Sequence Structure", the whole "DataSocket" palette, etc.
André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
9 Comments
muks
Proven Zealot
I am a little against this. This will hamper the flow(speed) of finding tools for veterans.
Message Edited by muks on 01-18-2010 01:45 PM
Manzolli
Active Participant
I'm thinking about the ones that you should not use anymore. For the veterans that crave for that stuff, they can always add these controls to the favorite palette.
André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
RichardJennings

Please, please do not rearrange the palettes again. Rearranging the palettes is like scrambling the keys on the keyboard. Efficiency is reduced accordingly.

muks
Proven Zealot

>>I'm thinking about the ones that you should not use anymore

Personally I dont have anything unusable until now and in addition i can suddenly try the ones that are unused till now. tweaking with the palettes will make it very confusing .

Ray.R
Knight of NI

Manzolli was referring to items like the Stacked Sequence Structures".

I have to think about this one.  It's not necessarily a bad idea..

Hopefully my post will bump this thread and see what others have to say.

Dennis_Knutson
Knight of NI

If functions are obsolete, there is no reason to keep them on any palette - even for compatability reasons. For example, the DDE functions have not been on any palette for a very long time but the DDE.llb is still part of the distribution and compatability is maintained. I think it's better to just remove the function from the palette.

Ray.R
Knight of NI

Good point Dennis. 

That's why I'm on the fence with this one and no kudos, yet.

The Stacked Structures have been debated for a while with camps at both extremes of the spectrum..  😉

Manzolli
Active Participant

I'm thinking in the border line cases: old fashioned functions, that should be avoided, but still available to use it in some special cases. Moving then away from the main palettes will make more difficult to beginners get the bad (at least old) habit of using then. Something opposite to the Favorites tab, that keep the most used functions easily accessible. By the way, anyone that misses some of then can always add it to the Favorites tab.

The idea is to put, a little bit hidden, functions that would be removed from LabVIEW in future versions, instead of doing suddenly, like they did with State Machine Module (replaced by the Statechart) and all of it's functions. Placing in a Legacy palette will still allow access to the experienced user and partially hide it from newcomers.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.