LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spectre_Dave

More Mac/Linux Support

Please Port more of the ToolKits and Drivers over to the UNIX environment.  I would be great to have all of the LabVIEW Tools on a modern stable OS.
Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
13 Comments
crelf
Trusted Enthusiast
...but only if doing so doesn't take resources away from continued development of NI products on the Windows platform 😛

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
Neil.Pate
Active Participant

Modern and stable... you mean like Vista? 😉

<Me waits anxiously for Win7 supportso that I can upgrade my XP installation!>

sth
Trusted Enthusiast Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
Actually porting to multiple platforms reveals weaknesses and inefficiencies in the code base.  This ends up making the code more robust on all platforms.  Thus this will help even Christopher!  It *might* delay the implementation of the "dancing paperclip" feature that is so demanded by windows users....

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

Pekko

Ubuntu should be added on the supported distributions, it is one of the most popular distros nowadays, and support for 64-bit version is urgently needed.  In our institute, only >5 years old machines have still 32-bit linux installations.

NI Elvis II and USB-600x should be supported in 64-bit linux environment.

cpknight

One such tool that is still missing in the LabVIEW 2014 (beta2) is the Express VI, DAQ Assistant.  This VI makes working with DAQs really simple, is great for students, and is even often used in many introductory LabVIEW textbooks.  However, the DAQ Assistant is not included in either the Mac or Linux distributions, even five years after the original poster asked for more Mac and Linux support.  

ToeCutter
Active Participant

I definitely vote for more Linux support- and yes, if one flavour is supported it should be Ubuntu as Ubuntu and its derivatives (e.g. Linux Mint) have the lion's share of the market.

There should be a Linux demo available from the website just like the Windows version is, for starters.

cirrusio
Active Participant

Enterprise versions of Linux (derivatives of RHEL) such as CentOS are more stable than Ubuntu and it's derivatives.

kitapc

Using LabView on Windows is becoming a major headache. The problem is the recent behavior of Microsoft regarding enforced updates with Win 10 and upgrades from Win 7 and Win 8. I don't know how others feel about it, but I'm not crazy about giving up so much control to MS. Also, it seems that both Windows and MacOSX are headed in the direction of consumer communication devices, pretty much abandoning true computing in the original sense. If that's the case, it behooves companies, especially tech companies, to switch to a more relevant, true computing platform.

Windows has been the main development platform for LV at NI. Their MacOSX and Linux versions always seem to be less complete than the Windows versions. Many toolboxes and drivers are available only in Windows versions.

I hope that NI will move to Linux as their primary platform. Personally, it doesn't matter which flavor they choose; I would simply install that flavor. However, as others have pointed out, corporations are more likely to favor RHEL/Red Hat/CentOS than Ubuntu. The important point is that NI make the decision to move to a serious platform.

cirrusio
Active Participant

Oh how I wish I wish I wish I could upvote this last comment.  In the past several weeks I have run into unexpected updates that have taken a considerable amount of time at the worst possible moment.  I don't know why everyone using Windows behaves as if they have Stockholm syndrome...  But, I think that the forum input format itself is proof positive that NI has no real interest in moving to a serious platform.  Focus will now be on NXG and it's tie to Windows.  Wouldn't be surprising to me if they drop support altogether for Linux and Mac.

kitapc

I brought up this issue at yesterday's LabView Developer Days conference in San Jose. NI's reaction was that they do not have any plans in the near future to switch to Linux as the flagship platform. I didn't quite grasp their reasoning. The gist of it, as I understand it, is that component suppliers such as FPGA's, etc. provide drivers in only Windows, which apparently makes it difficult for VI's to communicate with hardware under Linux. I may have misunderstood the explanation, so maybe someone else can enlighten us.

By the way, this isn't a problem only for NI/LV. The same sort of thing holds for other technical software, such as Matlab, which also has many toolkits available only in the Windows version. Somehow, these companies have to be convinced that Windows is no longer a viable software development, technical application platform. It (as well as Mac OSX) is a consumer oriented, communication device operation platform.