LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Make polynomial evaluation less confusing

Very long ago, I remember hooking up polynomial evaluation with the inputs reversed, because the labeling of the connectors and the icon image are just all over the place and very confusing. (In recent years I always hesitate for a few second to remind me that I need to hook it up opposite than what would feel natural.) :D:

Let's look at the help page of the version that accepts an array for x:

• We have a connector "A" which is actually an array of X values.  (Makes no sense!)
  • We have an input P(x), which is the array of polynomial coefficients [a] and has nothing to do with x. (Makes no sense!)
  • We have a generic polynomial header graphics on top that says: ∑aix^i (good, that makes sense!)
  • We have a graphic that says P(x)|x=a (what does that even mean!???)
  • We have an output that says P(A) (why?)

It couldn't  be made any more confusing: a's and x's everywhere and no rhyme nor reason to tie it all logically together!

Suggestion:

• Upper left input should be called x, or [x]
  • Lower left input should be called [a]
  • Upper right output should be called P(x)
  • The icon should be changed to a more resonable formula that actually makes sense.

12 Comments
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast
You claimed he invented it, rather authoritatively, which led me to assume you already had a primary source. I wanted to know what your source of that claim was, not an explanation of what it is. I take claims of invention seriously since I like to give credit where due, so that is why I asked for your source. In the scientific community I am used to 'google it' is not a good response to a citation request. And to restate, using it is different than inventing it, I know how and where the bar is used (often in conjunction with Leibniz notation) I have not seen a primary source for its invention. And some of us do strive to use precise notation regardless of what others choose to. What NI does in this icon is immaterial to me.
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Scholarship isn't anymore what it used to be... in the time of small print libraries and a scientific community of a few hundred head counts.

I wouldn't be surprised if, a few decades from now, this thread is quoted as proof that NI first introduced that very notation (more precisely, a guy at NI called Leibniz)....