From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlokanis

Make mouse wheel scroll the string control/indicator (and add other normal GUI features)

The mouse scroll wheel will scroll the contents of any control/indicator with a visible scrollbar (including strings), so I'm marking this idea as Completed.

My basic idea/complaint is to allow the mouse wheel to scroll the contents of a string control or indicator.  The mouse wheel works in other controls, like the listbox and the tree control but for some reason does not work on string controls.

More generally, I would like more effort placed on adding GUI features to LabVIEW that bring it more inline with the UI conventions of each OS it runs on.  For example, in windows, it would be nice to have toolbars supported natively instead of having to 'hack' together something that works like a toolbar.

My overall goal is to give LabVIEW developers the tools to create professional user interfaces that are at least up to par with other competing languages. 

-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect
3 Comments
Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast

My basic idea/complaint is to allow the mouse wheel to scroll the contents of a string control or indicator....

I like this idea, but would add that this functionality should only work in run-mode. When editing my Front Panels, I would get quite distracted if I happen to be scrolling down and the mouse pointer falls within the bounds of a string control, and then starts scrolling the control contents instead. This happens a lot in tall webpages with text fields/plugins and I find it a bit irritating, just like this webpage in fact when scrolling over the New Idea movie on the right!

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

RobStone

The control-focus problem in development mode can be circumvented if scrolling is only possible when the specific element is selected. It works this way in many other design- and programming environments.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

The mouse scroll wheel will scroll the contents of any control/indicator with a visible scrollbar (including strings), so I'm marking this idea as Completed.