LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrevMrgn

Make modal VIs only modal with respect to other front panels

It would be good if modal VIs were only modal with respect to other front panel VIs and that the block diagrams and project explorer were still accessible.

Then a modal VI can be stopped, paused, probed and debugged.

4 Comments
dthor
Active Participant

I don't support a full change-over, but it would be nice to have a psudo-modal option that does what you describe.

JÞB
Knight of NI

Its just in the way you handle your modal vis.  This shows an example of a run-time only modal implementation.  For debug and Unit-tests the indicated constant becomes a control with "Modal" default.

Dialog_BD.png

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
QFang
Active Participant

I did something similar, but made it a "Brat" VI.. essentially, I drop it on the BD of a modal user pop-up window. Each time the pop-up is called, it checks if it the calling parent is running in developer mode or exe. If developer, it sets FP.Behavior of the calling VI to "default" and if it is exe it sets it to modal (or leaves it alone).  That way I can have it on my tools palette and drop it in with no wiring or anything (except to control flow possibly).  Works pretty well for me.  (I also use the same technique to show/hide the abort/tool bar so that I don't have to manually change this when I develope and I don't forget to hide it before deploying..)

QFang
-------------
CLD LabVIEW 7.1 to 2016
battler.
Active Participant

QFang post your "Brat" VI somewhere, somehow?