From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Local variables redesign

Available in NI LabVIEW 2010

Compared to plain terminals and references (for example), local and global variables are too big. They waste way too much space on a bulky frame.

In my applications, local variables often come in large groups (e.g. if I need to write values from a file to a group of controls inside a case to load a different default set for the controls) and I tend to partially overlap the locals to save diagram space. I would prefer a more economical design, e.g. as shown on the right.

Globals could have that little globe (not shown).

I am not sure if we really need to encode read vs. write in the frame thickness like for terminals, but it could easily be done by making the frame of the "write" versions thinner (same outer dimensions). I think the little triangle is enough to show the direction.

Message Edited by altenbach on 08-15-2009 09:31 AM
49 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

I think the idea is great.  As much as possible in LV should be made to fit the Property-node raster.

crossrulz
Knight of NI
It all started with complaining about the boolean constants being too big.  Then came reference.  And now the locals.  But heck, Kudos to all!

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Sean-user
This is a sweet idea. I can express how annoying it is to line things up into a bundle or unbundle with the atypical sizes. This is something that should have been done long ago.
Neil.Pate
Active Participant

Brilliant idea!

For me the selling point is the smaller size and lining up with a bundle/property node.

I agree with Ravens Fan there is nothing at all intuitive about the current implementation with thick/thin borders. Off the top of my head I have no idea which is which (this is probably a CLAD exam question!).

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Thanks nrp.

The only think I see about the local variable borders that makes sense is that the thickness is comparable to a terminal whether it is a control or an indicator.  Beyond that, nothing is intuitive that the thicker border is a source and a thin border is a sink.  With control/indicator terminals, you do have the mini black triange to clue you in on the direction when you look at them.

jsiegel
I think this is a good idea, but I would keep the thick/thin borders for read/write terminals.  I do think the different thicknesses makes is easier to distinguish between them, and it makes them more consistent with normal terminals of front panel objects.
Intaris
Proven Zealot
I also found the thick/thin borders of the locals (and Globals - Shhh!) to be quite intuitive.  Please keep that feature.
muks
Proven Zealot
I accept that this is looking pretty good. But I will suggest a toggle between the "now existing" view and your "suggested view"
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I think being able to toggle between new and old methods is a bad idea, more confusing. Standardization is the way to go.

If you want to keep a toggle mode for one release cycle, I could understand it as a transition mechanism. For the long term, adopt only one standard.

Knight of NI
Something just occurred to me about this idea: Would a different language (e.g., something like an Asian font) affect the size?