LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chim20

Lasso Select

Hi, first I'd like to say I am new to Labview, just passed the CLAD.  I recently came across a post by someone who mentioned how difficult it can be to cut and paste code in Labview (or I guess even select everything necessary to make a SubVI).  I thought a lasso select tool would be helpful in this case.  There could potentially even be multiple versions, such as freehand, and one that can draw an arbitrary shape with straight lines (would be like drawing a wire around what you want to copy, and at every point where you want to change directions double click or something).  I actually saw someone request something similar in an old post, but did not see this in Idea Exchange.

4 Comments
fabric
Active Participant

It's just my personal preference but I always find lasso tools to be awkward to use. In LabVIEW I often find myself simply using Shift to add more to my selection or Alt-Shift to remove unwanted elements.

Dragis
Active Participant

I think the Lasso idea will work well with the touch screen devices like the majority of new Windows 8 laptops.

Jeffrey_Zola

The lasso wouldn't have to be the only way to select chunks for Copy/Cut. This would be useful to select chunks of code for cleanup, manual movement, etc.

Jeff

Jeffrey Zola
David_L
Active Participant

You don't know how many times I've had to re-try my selection multiple times to just perfectly get one node while intentionally skipping another node that is a few pixels away.  Shift-click works but you have to then shift click all wires attached to them as well. 

As a side note, it always confused me that LabVIEW uses Shift click while most other environments use ctrl-click to do the same functionality.