LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Fbaird

LabVIEW preferences import/export function

Functionality is already available. You can copy your LabVIEW INI file between installations to preserve settings.

I would like to propose the idea to have a way to save your labview development environment settings from one version of labview to the next.  I find it a bit tiresome to have to configure labview the way I like it everytime I get the updates (twice a year if you have a service subscription).  Having to toggle to grid snaps and changing the front panel controls icons.  I find its hard to remeber which settings you changed.  I would be nice if those preferences could be exported to a file then imported into the latest version so that you can more seamlessly update your development environment.

5 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Already Implemented

Functionality is already available. You can copy your LabVIEW INI file between installations to preserve settings.

Fbaird

Sweet Mother of Pearl,  That's fantastic.  It even populates the load screen with the last project and VI's I was working on. 

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Yep.  Been doing this for a long time.  Just be aware of any sample projects in the pinned and recent since they will likely be pointing to the old version of LabVIEW.  Not likely what you want.  I maually edit the ini file to search for the LabVIEW version (for example: "2015") and replace it with the new version.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
_TestMan_

Options\Import-Export would be the correct way to implement this rather than copying the ini file.