From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
jiangliang

Insert function node using keyboard shortcut

It's kinda like opposite of "remove and rewire".

In some cases we need to insert two end function node to wire repeatly, for example I might need to insert a lot feedback node when debugging FPGA code.

Right now we need to select a wire, select function (4+ clicks or so?), let alone we have to move the mouse cursor.

It would nice if we can set a shortcut for these kind of operation, say, we might select a wire(or maybe more then one wire?), then we press like  Ctrl+1, we will automatically insert function 1 in this wire(s), which user could config themself.

6 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Use Quick Drop.  Ctrl+Space to open QD, type in the shortcut or function name, Ctrl+I to insert onto a wire.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Crossrulz gave the right answer... the only amendment is you have to select the wire before you do ctrl+space. 🙂 So the steps are

1. Select wire

2. ctrl+space

3. type name of function (do not press enter)

4. press ctrl+i

jiangliang

Thank you,  and 

And yes, I did selected a wire before calling quick drop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get it, I shouldn't press Enter after type function name.

Thank you a lot! That would save me quite a some time:)

crossrulz
Knight of NI

If you have the function with the cursor, you did it wrong.  Do NOT hit Enter after typing in the function name.  The QD window must still be open and active for the shortcuts to work.

Generally speaking with QuickDrop, you don't need to hit Enter at all.  You can just type in the function and then click where you want it on your front panel or block diagram.  Darren calls this "Super Quick Drop".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Glad to help. I asked a moderator to modify my previous instructions to add "(do not press enter)" to the steps so future readers are not confused by that. 🙂

Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: Already Implemented

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D