LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JÞB

Enable display style on combo box item editor

The Combo Box is a useful means of linking "machine readable" strings and human readable text.  Unfortunately the current item editor lacks a key feature.

You cannot enter special characters (escape codes) or nonprinable characters \FF since any "\" entered is replaced by the "\\" escape  This means that if I want to add any non printable char to a value I need to write a vi to edit the strings and values property interactively and then type-def the control.   to edit the typedef I again need to disconnect from type def edit the strings and values from a vi, create a new custom control (no type def) and replace the original control in the type def with new control and apply changes.  Kinda a pain!  Again the values property will accept any string so this is only an items editor feature and does not change the combo box object in any manner

Many embedded applications use non printable characters in the commands. Most commands translate well into human readable text.  the combo box's auto completion feature allows an intellisense like feel to the UI but the difficuly mapping HRT to strings with non-printable characters seriouly increases the development and maintainence of these controls

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
1 Comment
JÞB
Knight of NI

While we are fixing this editor allow multiple "-" strings so I don't have to edit the strings to get multiple separators Smiley Mad

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay