LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteenSchmidt

Drag & drop to replace

Hi,

Currently to replace something (for instance a node on the block diagram) you have to right-click and then select Replace... and then usually a lengthy navigation into the function palette or onto the disk with the OS file explorer.

Most often I already have a LabVIEW-project open, one or more explorer windows (opened at a useful context), and maybe also one or a couple of pinned sub-palettes - but I am not allowed to replace anything from these locations. I suggest that this will actually be allowed; that is: drag something onto the block diagram, and if you're enough on top of another object, then a replace-outline appears for you to drop your new object into. Here's an illustration for replacing something in the block diagram, but the same could apply to the front panel as well:

Replace.png

All the usual stuff should happen when you replace this way, as if you replaced through the context menu. For instance a prompt to save a VI that leaves memory, automatic update of a project's dependencies etc. Many ideas are submitted to this Idea Exchange to enhance the Replace context menu in different ways, but a feature as I'm suggesting here would improve my own workflow the most, simply because I already have much quicker access to my "replacer", through existing explorer windows, than going through the Replace context menu no matter how intelligently it gets populated.

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
12 Comments
MikaelH

Is it just me that have change Replace with QD's "Ctrl + R" ?
P is too far to the right, I can't reach it with my left hand.
QD shortcut letter needs to be on the left side.
So of course I have replace the Delete-And-Rewire object with QD's "Ctrl + D"  not R(emove).

Darren
Proven Zealot

I agree that it's nice to have shortcuts on the left side of the keyboard, but I haven't changed the defaults, so I still use Ctrl-P for replace and Ctrl-I for insert. I also use Ctrl-N (Nattify VI) a lot. But I guess my left hand has gotten used to jumping over if it needs to.