LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X.

Delete and Rewire Improvement Suggestion

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

The Ctrl-Space Ctrl-R is pretty powerful. Witness this showcase of wizardry from LV:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

Ctrl-Space Ctrl-R results in this:

ScreenHunter_003.jpg

No broken wires, even though there is still some useless stuff to remove.

Now, why can't I select the subVI I just removed and the two DVR functions and Ctrl-Space Ctrl-R them (obviously, that was the effect I was trying to get to eventually)?

As a matter of fact, I'd be happy if I could select the two remaining DVR functions (and their connecting wire) and Ctrl-Space Ctrl-R them as in:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

But as of today, that's what we get:

ScreenHunter_004.jpg

All gone!

Suggestion: When a set of selected objects has an unambiguous set of source wires and an unambiguously corresponding set of sink wires, Ctrl-Space Ctrl-R should be able to zap everything and reconnect the unambiguously corresponding wires.

As a corrolary, when there is ambiguity, do not do anything with the wires that cannot be reconnected. Leave them broken. Do not do extra cleaning!

For instance, in the following case:

ScreenHunter_005.jpg

If I Ctrl-Space Ctrl-R the selection, here is the result:

ScreenHunter_006.jpg

Note that the DVR wire is connected properly, but the enum constant is gone, even though I did not select it!

12 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot

Sometimes it's a replace, but often it's not.  Simply a function call that isn't necessary anymore for one reason or another.  In the case above, maybe the FP.Open got moved earlier or later in the sequence of VI Server calls.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.