LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elset191

Context Help and Quick Drop

Available in LabVIEW 2020 and later. The context help window now updates with the help for the currently selected item in the Quick Drop window.

When I don't know a VI too well or am not really sure what I am looking for it would be nice to have context help display information for the items in the Quick Drop window.  For example I was looking for a noise VI and wanted to see the inputs and outputs of the VI's listed in the quick drop, but you first must choose a VI to get this information. 

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
8 Comments
GregSands
Active Participant

I'm surprised this doesn't have more kudos.  And even more surprised I didn't support it when it was first proposed!

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Sure, but that is not how the Context Help Window works... It will only return the description associated with the object hovered over (the "Name Match List" in this case). So what you want is in fact a different window or a side panel in the Quick Drop window.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Same happens in the llb open dialog. You can select a VI in the list of VIs, but the context help won't show anything but "File List" for the same reason. Notice that I agree with the great help that would be, it just appears that this will have to be done via something else than the Context help...

elset191
Active Participant

This discussion popped up a few weeks ago in the Quick Drop Enthusiasts group.  Depending on what hooks Darren finds he may be able to override the default behavior of the context help.

Aside: How many other ideas have gone 3+ years before their first comment?

--
Tim Elsey
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW 2020 and later. The context help window now updates with the help for the currently selected item in the Quick Drop window.

elset191
Active Participant

Thanks Darren and team!

--
Tim Elsey