LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
kosist90

Configure Firewall while installing LabVIEW

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

It would be nice, if during installation of LabVIEW, installer will configure Firewall as needed for LabVIEW. For example, Network Streams - is standard LabVIEW feature, but to use it, one should manually configure Firewall (as described in this KB article). I'm sure, that there are other cases when similar should be done.

Of course, then exe anyway should be added to Firewall exclusions list, but at least one could use and test Network Streams out of the box, without googling out why it does not work...

This feature could be optional during LabVIEW installation, but if it is possible to automate something - then better to have it automated, then refer to some manuals and KB articles...

5 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I'm pretty sure LabVIEW would be banned from a large number of our customer sites if we did this automatically. If we made it something that we asked about during the installation, I'm pretty sure none of our network functions are so standard that most users would know what we were asking about (i.e. I doubt more than half of our users have even heard of Network Streams, much less could answer "Should LV reconfigure your firewall to use Network Streams?")

In short, this seems like a hard request to do generally. We can leave it open and see what other users say, but I have my doubts about its viability.

kosist90
Active Participant

Thank you,  I see, and I realize it - but this is something what made me crazy couple times, so I just had to leave it here. If during so many years something similar was not done, then there is no chances that it'll be implemented now, especially before new era of NXG =))

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

All the ideas posted here are evaluated for both LabVIEW and LabVIEW NXG. It'll stay open for a bit for NXG to evaluate, but, honestly, I think the answer is the same regardless of the generation.

MichaelBalzer
Active Participant

Instead of firewall changes at install time, what about adding an option to punch holes in the Windows firewall for a desired network feature from within LabVIEW? Obviously admin rights would be required, but it'd be a time saver (digging through KBs for port ranges sucks), and would be a safer alternative to just disabling the firewall to get things working (which I have seen done).

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.