LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roto2

Color box control and color box constant place in tools palette

I'm using 2012 version, so I don't know if it's the same for 2013 and 2014 versions.

I don't use color boxes very often but when I do I always have the same problem when looking for them in the tools palette.

When in the front panel the Color Box control is situated in the Numeric folder

NI_001.png

But when in the diagram the Color box constant is a little more hidden...

NI_002.png

I know there is the "Search" option, which works very well. Also I can choose the color box control in the Front Panel and change it to a constant, but I worked for a lot of years with version 6.0 to 7.1 and it was very intuitive to find the constant where it was, i.e. here:

NI_005.png

So why don't leave the color box constant with the other numeric constants?

By the way, thank you for reading, I always wanted to comment this Robot Happy

3 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

It probably should be in both places. Of course if this idea were implemented, we would not need a color box constant very often. 😄

roto2

That's it! Simple and quick. I didn't find that idea when searching if anybody commented something similar. I also agreee with you that it should be in both places.

BenvanSeggelen

The color box is on the graphics pallet because it is a graphic representation of three numeric values.

I agree that finding it there is a bit awkward but when you think it through it makes sense, at least for me. To make it more accessible in the future the solution from altenbach is a great option. Have it on both places, because it is the first place we go looking for the color box constant.

You could also use the Quick Drop (Ctrl+space, Quick Drop is awesome) to find what ever you are looking for. Just type "color" and it should be in the list for both the front panel as the block diagram.

TLDR: Quick Drop!