LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spectre_Dave

Case Selector Label

Allow the Case Selector Label to be moved along the top border.  Often wires naturally fall in the center of the case and it would be nice to move the Selection Label to the left or Right to make the BD neater
Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
8 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
My initial "yes" turned into a "no" once I studied the attached code. I like the standard of having the inputs on the left-hand side of a structure, and the outputs on the right-hand side - the attached code has inputs in the left and top, and outputs on the top and right (presumably). With no IO tunnels going through the top, I prefer the current method of just always staying in the center.
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
I think I'll stick with a "yes" and add the event structure in there as well. I don't usually have outputs in the top, but I do occasionally have inputs in the top and having them go through the selector is very annoying (especially if they intersect with one of the arrows).

After a long thought yes.
CrystalTech
For me this is a No Brainer. "YES".  Because VI Boxes have top inputs, I find myself having to wire into the top of a VI many times whether its in a case structure or not, and I find myself wiring through the case "selector" more times than I would like to.  So the ability to move the case selector would definately be an asset to me.  Thanks for the idea.
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I don't like the usability problems that I see associated with a movable selection ring. Making it a selectable part means that some pixel regions would have to do selection instead of opening the drop list or rotating through the frames. That means making it larger to some degree. Also, it means that the selector could get picked up in selection rectangles that never had to worry about it before.

These might be solvable issues, but rather than try to brainstorm solutions to them, let me offer a couple different possibilites:

1) what if the wire drew on top of the selection list instead of under it? 

2) what if the selection list moved on its own to avoid being whereever tunnels were, moving on its own to the nearest space between tunnels that could accomodate its size, and getting smaller if no such space were available (just like it does if the width of the structure itself is not big enough)? 

Just some thoughts. I'm not unhappy with the current behavior, but if the community wants to improve/change it, I figured I'd toss out some other options that might work. 

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I agree that making it movable is probably not the best solution. The problem that needs to be solved is simple - if you wire something through the top, the tunnel (which is the main problem) covers the selector if the wire goes through it. This is especially annoying if it hides the parts which are not the text.

Here's a mockup for one solution - move the selector away from the tunnel.

Tunnel.PNG

Another option I can think of is making the tunnel semi-transparent.

I am okay with wiring on top and make the Selection Ring semi-transperant until it is selected.

I don't like the idea of the Selection Ring moving on its own - I already turn off all of the auto functions.

Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
vt92
Active Participant

I'm surprised that this idea hasn't gotten more kudos. 

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal