From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McQuillan

Back Propagation of 'Create User Event' Datatype

I use a lot of user events and often define the user event references in a typedef cluster before actually writing the create/generate/destroy code. It would be really helpful if the Create User Event primitive would change its input datatype based on the output (i.e back propagate the datatype), much like the Variant To Data primitive.

Back Propagation of Data Types.gif

4 Comments
McQuillan
Active Participant

^The input would still be 'Required' and require a label. But it would mean we can just right-click and create a constant, instead of searching for the datatype in the project/quickdrop (if you can remember the name).

When I can't remember the data type at all, I sometimes revert to using the Generate User Event function to get the datatype.

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Yup. No more to be said.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Seems like a decent job for a right click/QD shortcut (either creating the typedef constant from the user event ref if you really do a have a user event refnum or a more complex process if what you have is just a typedef for the event data).

Lots of back propagation magic is possible in LabVIEW. Gets my vote.