From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
moderator1983

Auto Optimization Tool

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

I would always like to see an Auto Optimization Tool (AOT), that will actually suggests and corrects not just Rube Goldberg Code but also unnecessary/unused codes. I understand, based on continuous advancements in the LabVIEW compiler, compiled code generated from the VI are optimized to great extent... but we like to see if in the source code itself, some sort of optimization can be done so that a developer (specially learners like me) also gets to know that, in what different ways code can be optimize or what section of their code can be removed without affecting the functionality.

AOT 1

Now after I select AOT, similar to BDCT, it should make the code optimized. There should also be an available option, just to list, wherever this tool feels correction is required and let developer to take a call whether modify it or leave as it is.

AOT 2

Few examples what AOT should be capable of:

1. Remove Coercion Dots:

Remove Coercion Dots

2. Remove Unnecessary Constants:

Remove Unnecessary Constants

3. Remove Unnecessary Code:

Remove Unnecessary Code

well there is no end of types of 'unnecessary codes'... Smiley Surprised

Any other suggestion you want to add, is most welcome... Smiley Happy

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

14 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

I think the compiler optimises a lot of this away anyway.  I don't want LabVIEW changing my source code.

moderator1983
Active Participant

@ Intaris.

Yeah, even I don't want, everytime AOT should change my code... So one need to select 'Only Show Suggestions' and AOT will just do nothing except showing where all changes can be done in order to make the existing code more optimized...!!

altenbach
Knight of NI

Well, all you need is add a few more tests to the "VI analyzer" we already have. 🙂

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

This request is covered by VI Analyzer and the LV compiler itself. The compiler will optimize as much as it can within the syntax given (like all the Boolean simplification *provided you have debugging turned off*). For the others, VI Anlyzer has tests for many of the things you mention (such as the *forked* wire with multiple coercion dots... the single coercion dot as shown in your first picture is not a performance problem and is exactly equivalent to the coercion bullet node). You are free to add additional tests to VI Analyzer if you have other patterns that you commonly observe and want to correct. NI adds more of these regularly.

altenbach
Knight of NI

Also, the correct way to deal with case #1 is to change the representation of the indicator to U8, or simply configure it to auto adapt to the source.

moderator1983
Active Participant

Locating coercion dot, with the help of VI analyzer toolkit... that's possible but when it comes to remove the coercion dot, that's beyond what VI analyzer toolkit offers...

Also regarding other two points (Remove Unnecessary ConstantsRemove Unnecessary Code), that is not at all possible using VI analyzer...!!

So my request is much beyond what VI analyzer offers...!!

Intaris
Proven Zealot

You mention you're a learner.

LabVIEW doing these things for you will not help you learn.  It's rewarding you for doing things inefficiently.  Your goal should be to program correctly without such help.  If it's done automatically, you might never even find out that what you were doing was incorrect.

I find the VI Analyzer help with manual correction to be sufficient.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Also regarding other two points (Remove Unnecessary Constants

> Remove Unnecessary Code), that is not at all possible using VI analyzer...!!

LabVIEW *does* do those things, already, today. When the code is compiled, those sorts of things get optimized away (when debugging is turned off). You don't pay a performance penalty for those because the optimizer handles it.

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

@ : "I don't want LabVIEW changing my source code."

+1

Dragis
Active Participant

I would support this idea if it was more like other code cleanup tools that suggest safe modifications like removal of unreachable code, invariant code motion, etc. and then provide a simple shortcut to have LabVIEW make the change. The compiler should be able to clean the code up internally, but many changes could also make the source code more readable and maintainable.