From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mads

Allow replace of multiple controls in one operation

If you want to replace two or more controls with another type of control you should be allowed to just select all of the existing controls and do all the replacements in one operation.

Currently you have to select one control at a time, right-click it, choose replace, locate the new control - then do it all over again with the next control, even though the type of control you want it changed to is the same as for the previous one.

multi-replace.png

5 Comments
jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

While you're waiting for NI to implement this, you can use a work-around.  Once you've got one control replaced, select it, copy it, then select each of the other controls and paste the copied control (one at a time).  The selected control will be replaced by the control on the clipboard.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Mads
Active Participant

That's a bit better than doing the replace, yes. Another option for now is to create a plug-in for the JKI Right-Click Framework.

But it is such a basic task that should be available out of the box I think.

Darren
Proven Zealot

For those of you who use Quick Drop, this functionality is available in LabVIEW 2010 and later.  Select the multiple objects, press Ctrl-Space, type the new object name, and press Ctrl-P.  All selected objects will be replaced with the specified object name.  You can do this on the front panel and on the block diagram.

I do agree though that this functionality should be available in the right-click menu for those of you who still use the palettes.

Mads
Active Participant

Good tip Darren. I've been a bit slow at adopting those shortcuts. So far I'm only using the remove & rewire shortcut regularly. I did not think of the replace.

That gives me a new idea actually; put the list of shortcuts on display in the main QD window. That way we can see them every time we open the window, and know our options without having to remember them. If that gets too messy; add a keystroke (to keep the mouse out of the equation) that will show them temporarily (using the button and then navigating to the shortcuts tab is too slow) - and/or put it in a dynamically generated (in case it has been customized) tip-strip for the shortcuts-button Smiley Happy

NIExpert

Just came across a need for this 11 years later