LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CoastalMaineBird

Add options for PATH control/indicator

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined. 

I would like to see more options applied to a PATH control / indicator:

Let's assume I have a path control set to 

C:\Users\Steve\Projects\MyProject\Config Files\My Config.ini

I would like to see a PROPERTY of that control called "Display", such that:

1... The data held by the control would not change regardless of the property setting.  i.e., the terminal, a local var or value property always returns the complete path above.

2... The property defaults to "Normal" or "Full Path", and the display shows the full path.

3... If I set the property to "File.ext", then what I see on screen is "My Config.ini".  Again, the control holds the full path, only the display is changed.

4... If I set the property to "File", then what I see on screen is "My Config". the extension is stripped.

5... If I set the property to "Folder+File.ext" then what I see on screen is "Config Files\My Config.ini".

6... If I set the property to "Folder+File" then what I see on screen is "Config Files\My Config"

There are edge cases to consider: what if I pass it a folder path when it's set to "File.ext" - does it show blank or "no file selected" or something.

This lets me avoid long paths in the display, without having to keep separate track of them in code.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

2 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I suggest you create an XControl that has exactly the behavior you're looking for. Your use case -- like many UI requests involving particular data formatting issues -- sounds somewhat specialized, not something that LV should incorporate for LV users generally.

We will leave this request open to see what other user feedback comes in.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.