From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
euko

Add event to "event structure" directly from FP

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

If I have many objects on the FP and I want to add event to "event structure", it takes time to found and select object from “Event Sources” list. It will be nice to add new event directly from FP by right clicking on the object. This option will be available if event structure exists on BD

14 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I kudo the idea, with the caveat mentioned by Altenbach: that is, you would be offered an option to create a new case, or add to an existing case. Obviously you could also remove an event associated with this control (and choose from a list if it associated with several).

But more generally, this is one more post pointing for the pressing need to upgrade the Event Structure interface (similar issues pertaining to the Case Structure).

I know not everybody writes code where there are 100's of events or cases (or controls), but that's when the limitations are the most painful. I'd be happy to learn better programming methods to avoid this problem in the first place (as in sub-contracting some event handling to a subVI by having this subVI's panel be a subpanel of the main VI, etc), but unless this is a deliberate policy by NI to force people in changing their programming habits (small diagrams, few controls, limited list of events, etc)(*), they need to know that this is causing significant productivity problems. This is borderline a text-based programming problem (long list of descriptive events) but we don't even have a search function for it!

(*) Guys, I am joking...

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

This idea should probably be considered as completed with the introduction of this menu shortcut plug-in.

Darren
Proven Zealot

As a general rule, I don't move ideas to 'Completed' status unless the feature is included in the product.