LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yenknip

Add a development-time border target to front panel widgets

A lot of fron panel widgets have a lot of operations that are performed essentially on their border; drag-drop, right click menus, etc. Trying to target borders can be frustrating as they are only a couple of pixels wide.

I suggest adding an extension to the border which can be used as a larger target for arrays, clusters, boolean buttons with a large graphic covering most of the face, etc.

Obviously, this isn't visible at run time.

large border target.png

Great idea; those tiny borders you have to click are one of the main carpal tunnel-inducing aspects of LabVIEW 🙂

One could also have those "click handles" fade in (pop up) on mouse hover.

Science & Wires — a blog on LabVIEW and scientific programming
http://scienceandwires.com
Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast

I certainly agree that this can be a nightmare, especially with the increasing pixel density of modern screens (an ever increasing  trend that will make these two or three pixel width areas ever-harder to locate). In other packages which deal with nested/contained objects I've seen the use of keyboard shortcuts to dig into the master object - for example, hover the mouse over the object and it's entire area is regarded as belonging to it. If you wanted an actual object within it then tap the CTRL key once and the IDE then looks for the first contained object within the master object that's under the mouse coordinates. Keep tapping CTRL for deeper objects.

Kudos for this, it's a good idea.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)