LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Broken_Arrow

A faster & neater way to show Cluster Element Labels

Available in LabVIEW 2012. In LabVIEW 2012 and higher, you have the ability to select multiple items on a block diagram (like elements in a cluster) and have a common right-click menu items available (like Visible Items>>Labels)

Here's how we currently make cluster element labels appear, and a proposed idea for improvement.

ClusterLabels.png

Richard

28 Comments
CrystalTech

Kudos to a great idea.  NI shouldn't rely on JKI to fix any good features NI should be responsible to provide.

labview4steve

20 kudos!!!
this is a MUST have feature for labview - the labels should appear however the default in the options menus says - but the whole idea is very much needed - i can't believe i hadn't thought of asking for this... funny - I used to the same and click through the lot if i forgot what was what... But I learned that JKI has this - so I'll have to add that in the mean time...

Darren
Proven Zealot

I don't know if the Visible Items submenu is the best place for this...things get tricky when the element labels are in a mixed state.  I would prefer a right-click menu option on the cluster that just says "Show Element Labels".

Should it dig into nested clusters and show their labels too?

-D

Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

A right-click menu option would be fine I think.

It should only dig as far as what you are currently clicking on. If you want a nested cluster to show its labels, click on that cluster - my opinion at least.

Richard

silmaril

I think this should be an option that can be set for a type definition (and it should default to "true").

If you want to see the labels in a sub-cluster, just enable this option in it's typedef.

This way there is no need for recursing through nested clusters.

Generally, I think typedefs should provide a way to specify the behabiour of their constants, but maybe a separate idea would be a better place for this...

Ray.R
Knight of NI

EXCELLENT IDEA

(did I shout that?)

JÞB
Knight of NI

Another "New" Idea to move to the "Implemented" catagory available in 2012

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Jeff, how was this "implemented"?  I'm not seeing any menu item like that.  Or are you saying it is implemented because you can change the property on multiple constants now?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
JÞB
Knight of NI
Yes it got included with the multi seletion RCM Options

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Already Implemented
Available in LabVIEW 2012. In LabVIEW 2012 and higher, you have the ability to select multiple items on a block diagram (like elements in a cluster) and have a common right-click menu items available (like Visible Items>>Labels)