LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vitoi

Smaller (and cheaper) sbRIO based on Xilinx Zynq

A smaller (and cheaper) sbRIO based on the Xilinx Zynq chip. Target size is SO-DIMM form factor (68 x 30 mm (half the area of a credit card), 200 pins). Such a board  would be OEM friendly and can be plugged into a product (rather than the current sbRIO offerings that requires the product to be developed around the sbRIO rather than the sbRIO fitting into your product). Also, a Base Board that is (only) used during development. Below is what the proposed sbRIO and Base Board would roughly look like (courtesy of Enclustra FPGA Solutions)

mars_pm3_350.jpg       mars_pm3_350.jpg

23 Comments
thotho

vitoi, Lumigus Instruments board have only Xilinx Fpga.

But, If you want to see Fpga + Microcontroller on the same board you can have a look below.

iCore2.jpg

The board link: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.312.pB520u&id=20889895095&ns=1&abbucket=10#detail

and the board price is : $ 65

I dont think that Labview users increase as you expected 4 times or more.

NI should produce easy of use sbrio series for Labview beginners and first timers (Arduino users). Dont tell me Linx.:)

Maybe one of the Hardware responsible man from NI can tell us, Why they dont have entry and mid-range sbrio's.

vitoi
Active Participant

thotho, I agree, NI needs to have an entry-level and mid-range sbrio.

vitoi
Active Participant
Here's an interesting "credit card" sized board based on the Xilinx Zynq 7010 that sells for $55: http://www.embedded.com/electronics-blogs/systems-check/4440513/1/Dev-board-aims-at-Raspberry-Pi--Ar... . It even includes Bluetooth and Wi-Fi which are essential for interacting to mobile devices and for the Internet-of-things (IOT). I'm not thinking or asking National Instruments to match the price. Even at triple the price, we're still on a winner. The Zynq chip has provided a hardware platform for an innovative developer to find an easy way to program both microcontroller and FPGA. Once this is done the Zynq chip will flourish. And I think it will then become as popular as the Arduino and Raspberry Pi. I hope National Instruments are the ones that make it happen.