LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Labview and an ARM Cortex

Good morning,

I am currently trying to use Labview with a board from ST Microelectronics (MCBSTM32) with an ARM Cortex Processor.
I use the SDK and have followed the tutorials.
But, when I try to launch the program (the simple loop as write in the tutorial n°2 : http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7029 ), Keil gives me an error via Labview:
"Argument 'DARMSTM' not permitted for option 'device'."
It seems that Keil does not allow an ARM Cortex from ST as the device.
Moreover, after having this problem, I am unable to use a Keil project ,even a project which worked before, without Labview. I need to restart the computer.
I also try to launch the Keil project generated by Labview, without using Labview, and it works. But as soon as I use Labview, I have the error.

Did anyone already have this error or know how to solve it

Thank you for your answer and sorry for my bad english.

Regards,

Raphaël VAISSIERE

Message 1 of 15
(10,470 Views)

Hi Raphi,

So let me make sure I understand,

The project created in LabVIEW errors out with the message "Argument 'DARMSTM' not permitted for option 'device" 

If you open the same project in Keil uVision, it runs fine

Here are my questions:

1. So how does the code run when run through Keil? does it deploy and run fine?

2. Did you follow the porting procedure completely?

Your target STM32F103RB  is techincally supported by Keil but you need to port the RTX kernel to it. This paragraph explains it:

To determine if your target already supports the RTX Real-Time Kernel, browse to the \Keil\ARM\Startup directory, then browse to the folder that corresponds to the manufacturer of your ARM microcontroller. If there is an RTX_Conf*.c file for your target, then the RTX Real-Time Kernel has already been ported for your ARM device. If no such file exists, skip to chapter 4 for more information on the RTX Real-Time Kernel and a guide for porting RTX to your ARM microcontroller. 

You also need to port the Real-Time agent to it.

I just want to make sure that you have followed the guidelines. If you have and are still having problems, we will continue to explore this.

Thanks,

Senior Product Manager
National Instruments
Message 2 of 15
(10,458 Views)

Hi Jaidev.

Thanks for you answers.

Just to clarify the problem (it is a little bit strange 😉 😞

When LabView errors out  with the message "Argument 'DARMSTM' not permitted for option 'device", I am not able to run the projectwith Keil uVisoin, it returns the same error.

But if I restart the computer and try the program with Keil without launching LabView, it does not run but the compilation starts with "standart" compilation errors. After clearing the compilation, the program runs fine on the target (the program we try is a single loop).

About the RTX, I ported it.
For the RTAgent, I saw on the Keil website that the Cortex-M3 does not need it. Moreover, I have the example of the LM3S8962 provided by NI. In this example, there is no RTAgent and the board runs fine with LabView. So I decided not to port the RTAgent.

Thanks for your answers.

Regards

Raphaël VAISSIERE

Message 3 of 15
(10,453 Views)

I'll look into it. I will let you know when I find out more.

Thanks, 

Senior Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(10,447 Views)
OK

Thanks you

Raphaël
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(10,444 Views)

Hi Raphael,

I am working on find you some answers for this. I will keep you posted. 

Senior Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(10,398 Views)

Hi Rapahel,

Just an update form my side. We did replicate the same problem. Unfortunately, we havent figured a sequence of events that make this happen so it is still sporadic and we havent been able to figure out the root cause. I will let you know when we have more information.

Thanks,

Jaidev 

Senior Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(10,376 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for the update. I am still trying different things to solve the problem, but nothing to do. Hope you will find out a solution.

Thanks again.

Raphaël

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(10,370 Views)

Hi Raphael,

I am working with a MCBSTR9 board. I encountered this problem before. If you activate Keil uVision to Licensed version (not Evaluation version), everything should work fine.

I am not sure if there are any other solutions. Hope R&D can find a better workaround soon.

Regards,

Ho Nam

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(10,362 Views)

Hi Raphael,

I have heard of this error from multiple sources and the common theme seems to be that everyone was using the evaluation version. Are you too? if so, does licensing it make it go away?

I am wrking with Keil to get you a better answer but verifying this will help.

Thanks, 

Senior Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(10,336 Views)