LabVIEW APIs Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scripting with polymorphic VIs

Hi,

I'm trying to programmatically add VIs to a polymorphic VI but cannot find any method or property that would let me do that.

I would expect there to be a property that contains children of the polymorphic VI and a method to add VIs to it, but cannot find anything like that. I would also like to set the short and long names of the VIs in the polymorphic VI as well, since that is a tedious job that is very error prone when doing manually.

Can anyone show me how that can be done?

Thanks a lot!!

Joseph

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(10,037 Views)

Not sure it has exactly what you want but take a look at this example on LAVAcr.

Hope this helps

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,456 Views)

Merci beaucoup!! C'est ce qu'il me faut pour commencer.

Thanks! That's what I needed to start with.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,456 Views)

I can now add VIs to a polymorphic VI.

Is there a way to change the properties of the polymorphic VI (adapt to type, show selector, which icon to show...)?

Can I change the selector name of each VI contained in a polymorphic VI?

The link from lavacr does not do these things.

Thanks!

Joseph

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,456 Views)

You need to activate scripting and make sure you have a polymorphic VI type reference, if you activate that you get the following properties:

PolyProps.png

InstanceInfo will show the information about every VI.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,456 Views)

Hey,

thanks a lot. Those were the properties I was looking for. I used InstanceInfo as write node and added the paths with selector and menu names. It worked like a charm, and it's easier to manipulate than the previous solution.

Joseph

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,456 Views)

TCPlomp,

I can't seem to find the AdaptToInputs using LabView 2014.  It might have something to do with selecting the polymorphic VI type reference?  Any thoughts?

THANKS!!!

polymorphic_Scripting.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,456 Views)

Here's a 2014 snippet.  You do need to have the PolymorphicVI class not just VI.

Polymorphic VI Properties.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,456 Views)

How do I find it (How do I drop that onto the block diagram)?  When I connect a property node to the "new VI" scripting command I can't find PolymorphicVI as an option.

Is it considered on object of a Polymorphic VI?

Thanks!

polymorphic_vi_Refnum_search.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,456 Views)

You need to cast the object (use To More Specific Class) to a PolymorphicVI.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,456 Views)