From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF00A6) The connection for the given session has been lost.

Hello,

I am communicating with a TCP/IP device using VISA functions.

If I wait more than aprox. 50 seconds to talk with it, occurs the following errors:

When the VISA timeout is set to 10 sec:

Error -1073807298 occurred at VISA Read.

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF003E) Could not perform operation because of I/O error.

When the VISA timeout is set to 20 sec:

Error -1073807194 occurred at VISA Read

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF00A6) The connection for the given session has been lost.

When the VISA timeout is set to 20 sec and TCP KeepAlive property is enabled occurs the first error again:

Error -1073807298 occurred at VISA Read.

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF003E) Could not perform operation because of I/O error.

Somebody can knows how to solve it?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(13,636 Views)

Which device are you communicaing with?

Maybe that information can shed some light, now I have no idea.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(13,623 Views)

It is a Telecom product, the manager of a DWDM (optical) system.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(13,622 Views)

A workarround is open (write, read) and close the TCP/IP VISA session each time I communicate with it.

What do you think about it?

I usually open and close the device session only one time in my applications, at least GPIB and serial communication...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(13,621 Views)

I think somethings odd.  Show us some code that demonstrates the behavior and we'll see what's wrong

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(13,615 Views)

I've discovered the supplier's sw to control this equipment sends packets to it to keep the connection opened. There is no KeepAlive function for it. It has to receive valid packets, a "GetStatus" command for example. If no command is sent, after ~50s, the connection is closed.

Message 6 of 7
(13,606 Views)

@MarcioCardoso wrote:

I've discovered the supplier's sw to control this equipment sends packets to it to keep the connection opened. There is no KeepAlive function for it. It has to receive valid packets, a "GetStatus" command for example. If no command is sent, after ~50s, the connection is closed.

If the device is commercially available- could you post a model number and a link to the relavent documentation?  The next forum member that runs accross this issue won't have to share your pain and can resolve a problem with a quick search.  Thanks

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(13,600 Views)