From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorensen DCS Power Supply RS232

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am trying to communicate with an old Sorensen DCS power supply (DCS100-12) via RS232. It has the M9 option and the manual is attached. I am using a RJ11 to DB9 cable as mentioned in the section 2.4. 

Before going to a Labview VI, I am first trying to communicate using the VISA Test Panel. I am using the following parameters as mentioned in the manual :

Baud rate : 19200

Data Bits : 8

Stop Bits : 1

Parity : None

If I start the power supply and query "*IDN?\r\n" I get both the answer and a timeout error (see image below). The next query will always timeout (even *IDN? ). 

GR_JJC_0-1654880471230.png

I have tried a lot of different setting with no success. In the other hand I tried to use a GPIB to USB adapter from another device and it works fine. 

Questions :

• Any ideas why the RS232 communication always timeout ?
  • Why it give me a good answer only for the first query ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(2,794 Views)

You seem to do what I would have done.

My only suggestion is to use only \r or \n instead of both.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,787 Views)

Thanks for your help,

I have also tried the \r and \n alone without success.

I guess I will have to buy another GPIB to USB adapter. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,733 Views)

This power supply is unknown to me, so I can't speak from experience.

However, after spending a few minutes to read the instruction manual, I wonder if the problem does not come from the use of the IDN? command (instead of ID?).

M9A.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,731 Views)

I tried the ID? command without success as well (with the different termination characters mentioned above). It timeout as any other read command. 

As I understand from the manual, M9A and SCPI are just two different languages but the HW setup is the same for both of them (cf Section 2).

I could imagine that the issue comes from the wiring, but I still receive an answer via the first IDN? command just after the power supply startup. 

I wonder if this can come from the VISA Test Panel. Is there another simple tool that can perform the same kind of tests ?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,722 Views)

Try entering *STB?\n or *CLS\n prior to sending the *IDN?\n queries.  It may be that their is a status message awaiting.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 6 of 13
(2,717 Views)

@GR_JJC wrote:

I wonder if this can come from the VISA Test Panel. Is there another simple tool that can perform the same kind of tests ?

LabVIEW Menu >> Help >> Find Examples... >>

Serial.png

Message 7 of 13
(2,696 Views)

I tried both command with \n and \r\n as termination character.

Similarly to the *IDN?\r\n command, the *STB?\r\n works only one time after the restart of the power supply and it send me both a timeout error and the answer "68\r". The *CLS\r\n timeout the first time (even after a startup) and the next *IDN?\r\n timeout as well.

GR_JJC_0-1655187745056.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,692 Views)

The response to *STB? gives us some insight as to what the issue may be.

The response of 68 = 64 + 4 as the status byte is a binary representation which is described on page 3-2 of the manual. 

(64) ==> It seems that you are configured with the Service Request = ON.  This could be due to a couple of things.

1) Do you have DIP switches on the back of the supply?  If so, make sure that the first 3 (MSB) switches are set according to figure 2.3. (This device is responding as if the 2nd switch is in the ON position)

2) *SRE is set in software.  Try writing, "*SRE0\n" to the device.

(4) ==> Implies that there is an error message waiting in the buffer.  Enter the query, "SYST:ERR?\n" to find the response and compare versus the SCPI Error Codes which begins on page 3-4.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 9 of 13
(2,682 Views)

Thanks a lot for your explanation on the binary representation. 

I don't get the link between 64 and the service request. On page 7-3 the bit n.7 in the SCPI Status Byte correspond to the "Operation Status Flag".

(64) Service request

1) The 3 DIP switches are set up as described on the Figure 2-1 (for DCS Power supplies). 

GR_JJC_0-1655222289204.png

2) I tried the "*SRE0\n" command but it doesn't change anything. I also tried to query "*SRE?\r\n" after a startup and got "0\r". So I guess that is not the issue.

(4) Error message

I have restarted again the power supply and query "SYST:ERR?\n". I got the following error: 

201,\sUnexpected\swarm\sboot\r

The manual mention :

201 - Unexpected warm boot
This error means that the M9 GPIB-side processor experienced a warm boot that was unexpected, and it may indicate an internal crash of the M9 processor.

I don't think this comes from a HW issue as I tried with three differents DCS power supplies and got the same error. Moreover the power supplies are working using the GPIB to USB module. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,671 Views)