From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parsing data from a serial string

Solved!
Go to solution

Labview 7 Express Alert 😞

Sorry, this all I have to work with and there is no budget at this time to upgrade.

Hello, I am in stage 1 (transferring data reliably to labview 24/7) of my little sideproject which is to display and log Lab Environmental Data 24/7 from our Fisher 02-403 Digital Barometer which has a serial port. It actually came with software but no one here seems to like using it so I'm trying to come up with something more intuitive. I can find no info at all concerning I/O with this device so I am reverse engineering. I am pretty sure you cannot write anything to this device only read.

I started by hooking up the device and looking at the interface with  NI Measurement and Automation, and received the following string: P,43,1019,44,31,01,0023.0\r\n.

I then tried using the Labview 7 Express Instrument I/O Assistant, selected COMM 1, changed the timeout to 5000 (trial and error), added a Read and Parse step, ran it and received the following string: P,43,0999,44,41,01,0018.0,XX. After much guessing, I have determined that the values that I have bolded change with the environment and the other 3 are always the same 9no clue what they represent). The 1st bolded alphabetical represents weather trend S= sunny P= partly sunny C= cloudy etc., the 2nd value is the barometric pressure in hPa, the 3rd is % relative humidity, and the last is Temperature in Deg. C.

At first I tried just creating tokens for the data I want and running the I/O Assistant in a while loop, but often got error messages suggesting that I needed to define all the tokens in the string. I have done that and it worked, then I opened the front panel to access the underlying diagrams from which I came up with the attached VI. I have let this run for more than 24 hrs, no errors, looks good.

My question to this forum is, can I at this point simplify this VI by losing some of the parsing for the data that I don't need?

Please let me know if you cannot access this VI maybe I can do a screen capture or something.

Thanks,

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,314 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Doug_M.

Yes, it can be simplified just a wee bit.

Since you are new to LabVIEW, you might want to start with the basic tutorial.

Message 2 of 5
(7,300 Views)

Wow that was an understatement, much simpler! I am going through the tutorial now, any idea why the videos won't run? I have tried different computers on different networks and can't get the videos in the basic tutorial to work.

Getting back to my vi, I am thinking to use the 'Serial Read with Timeout' vi from the examples as a sub-vi to handle the acquisition of the data from the barometer, do you foresee any issues with this approach? Thanks for your help!

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,243 Views)

Serial Read with Timeout is an obsolete example if I remember correctly that used the old serial functions and not VISA. I could be wrong about that since that example no longer comes with LabVIEW. Look at the Basic Serial Write and Read.

Message 4 of 5
(7,228 Views)

Thanks for your help, this works great and is waay more simple, now for step 2!

Doug 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,160 Views)