From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488.2 does work on Windows XP Mode within Windows 7

You will only be able to use USB, ExpressCard, and Ethernet GPIB interfaces in XP Mode. In general, software virtualization products such as VmWare and Virtual PC (XP Mode) do not support access to PCI hardware from virtual machines.

-Jason S.

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 55
(4,033 Views)

Has anyone got this up and running in xp mode?(trying to use usb to gpib)

I have not downloaded the beta version here, but I did download the newest 488.2 software from ni last week and it took hours to load!? and it still did not work.

Do you have to load the drivers on both the windows 7 machine and xp mode?

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 55
(4,000 Views)

questionable-

I was told by NI (in June) that the XP Mode fix would not be available in a released driver until the end of 2011.  So whatever version you downloaded (2.8.1?) does not resolve the problem.  We obtained the beta (v2.8.3 beta) and have used the GPIB-USB-HS in XP mode and it works fine.  I think you'll need to get the beta for an immediate resolution, or wait until the released version is available.

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 55
(3,963 Views)

How long does it take to be accepted for the beta download? I'm waiting now 5 days and it's very important for me.

BR.

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 55
(3,952 Views)

Eric

Thanks for the reply, I just applied for the beta version, hope this works, I need to get my new laptop setup for development.

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 55
(3,930 Views)

Hi.

Now, I get access to the beta driver.

It works fine with our laptop, Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit and XP Mode and the usb-gpib.

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 55
(3,903 Views)

I'm happy to announce NI-488.2 v3.0 for Windows is now released and can be downloaded here:

NI-488.2 3.0 - Windows 7 x86/Vista x86/7 64 bit/XP/Server 2003 R2 (32-bit)/Vista x64/Server 2008 R2 ...

In this release, USB and ExpressCard interfaces enumerate correctly in VirtualPC, including Windows 7 XP Mode.

--Michelle

National Instruments
Message 47 of 55
(3,818 Views)

I have a macbook pro, running os X, with virtualbox 4.1.8, with the USB extensions installed, running windows 7, with MAX version 2.7, & I had the same issues as discussed above.

I did try installing MAX 2.8, but that would stall part way through the process, ~34%, & I would have to abort and reset to a prior snapshot.

I downloaded & installed NI488.2 v3.0.0, as suggested by Michelle.  After the re-start, there was no change, the GPIB-USB-HS, shows up in the device manager, with the yellow triangle, but not in the MAX, that is it didn't make any difference.

At this point I'm not sure what to do next, I may try another virtualization, parallels, to see if this would make a difference, but I'm not hopefull.

[Update]

In the VirtualBox settings, I enabled USB 2.0, and this allowed the GPIB interface to work, which is great progress.  This setting is not on by default.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 55
(3,574 Views)

Hi SPetree,

With your GPIB interface working, it sounds like your problem with the GPIB-USB-HS is fixed. Are you having any other problems and, if so, could you elaborate on what your are trying to do?

I know you said you had the same problem as above, but that appears to be fixed for the most part by 488.2 3.0. Please let us know if you are still having problems.

Regards,

Zach P.

Staff Software Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 55
(3,541 Views)

All issues were solved, the key was to get the latest NI 488.2, 3.0.0, and enabling USB 2.0 on the virtualbox settings, which are not on by default, as well as downloading the usb extensions, from Oracle, (virtualbox).  I'm currently coding away in labview, with all communications with my instruments working.

Message 50 of 55
(3,537 Views)