From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -1073807330 occurred at Property Node (arg 2) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi

I am trying to set the baud rate on my COM port to 56.7K and I am getting the following error (copied from "explain error" box).

Error -1073807330 occurred at Property Node (arg 2) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Change baud rate.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF001E) The specified state of the attribute is not valid, or is not supported as defined by the resource.

Now I have gone and changed the baud rate (by force) through Device Manager and the baud rate is supported (I am assuming, since it gave me that baud rate as an option).  The only problem now if that when I try to configure my COM port for the parity and bit size with the Visa Cofnigure Serial Port, the default baud rate on that call is 9600.  I am assuming that this will change that COM port's baud rate to 9600, even though I have set it to 56.7K through Device Manager. 

I have included the sample code where the error is being generated on my system.

Why am I getting this error?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(13,891 Views)
NManzo,

your error explanation is OK as I read it. It says:

Error -1073807330 occurred at Property Node (arg 2) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Change baud rate.vi

This means that you call 'Change baud rate.vi', which calls 'VISA Configure
Serial Port (Instr).vi', where a property node is executed. The second argument of this PropNode (..at Property Node (arg 2)..) causes the above mentioned error, because the stated value is not acceptabel for the PropNode.

I can't tell the reason for this inacceptance, but being able to set this baud rate in device manager does not mean that all the participating code and devices can handle this. Espacially NI-VISA itself _may_ have a problem with this..
What to do?
1. Try to connect to the serial device using Hyperterminal with exactly the same parameters.  If this succeeds than VISA is to blame. Contact NI support for help. Else find another baud rate...

2. Right-click to the PropNode and select 'Ignore errors inside Node'. Test your code now. If it works this way you should safe 'VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi' with a different name into your private project folder (for example as ' My VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi').

HTH   and
Greetings from Germany!<br>-- <br>Uwe

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(13,884 Views)
56.7k is not a valid baud rate... try 57600.

In addition, setting the defaults in the device manager is just that, defaults. These would be used if you just used a VISA Open and did not call the Configure Serial Port.VI. Calling the Configure Serial Port.vi will over ride every setting that you set in the device manager. For items that are not wired the VI defaults will be used, not the device manager defaults.

-Josh

Message Edited by JoshuaP on 11-18-2005 08:11 AM

Message 3 of 3
(13,879 Views)