Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micrologix 1400 Ethernet/IP invalid tag format error

I am unable to get the Micrologix 1400 to communicate via Ethernet/IP using register address as tag name, error that appears in the VI is:

EthernetIP Tag Read BOOL.vi;
Details: The tag name is not correctly formatted

Compact Logix PLC works correctly with specified tag names programmed with RSLogix 5000.

Is there a specific format that I need to use for the Micrologix 1400?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(9,710 Views)

Hi scadata, 

Can you post screenshots of your front panel and block diagram? 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(9,703 Views)

Images attached.  Tried various formats of the address as well, only testing with digital input 0.  

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(9,700 Views)

The "/" in the tag name looks suspicious to me. I will try it, but it will be Monday before I have time. In the mean time you may see if it is easy to use the "Get Attribute.vi" instead. There is an example that illustrates using it to access a tag. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(9,697 Views)

Hi scadata1,

As the third snapshot you attached shows that the naming in your tags follows I/O addressing rules. And Tag messaging is a different way of messaging from I/O messaging. So it doesn't make sense.

I believe if you use tags (only names) to access the variables you created on the PLC directly (which also use only names as the identifier) and it should work.

Lewis

Product Support Engineer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(9,669 Views)

Will the toolkit support I/O messaging?  Can't assign tag names on the Micrologix 1400.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(9,667 Views)

Hi there all,

I’ve been trying to find useful information that can help on this particular problem. I found this document (see page 71 & 83) that talks about how to setup the MicroLogix 1400 controller for explicit messaging and EtherNet/IP Objects.

I hope this can provide enough information to help you format correctly the reference to the tags. If not, I also found an alternative method on this other forum thread, however is depending on a different technology (OPC).

Regards,

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(9,626 Views)
You need to use the SLC500 VIs to read/write the register files on that PLC.

Eric
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(9,617 Views)

Reference resources: 

SLC 500

MicroLogix 1400 reference manual

MicroLogix 1400 user manual

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos