Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up PROFIBUS with NI 9024

Hello all,

I am attempting to use a cRIO Profibus module in order to communicate with a series of pumps daisy chained through said Profibus module.  I am following the steps described in this white paper:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/11078/en/

But when I get to # 3. PROFIBUS Configuration steo 3, "Select ONLINE >> Driver Selection..." it gives me these errors

"Selected Device is not a Comsoft Device or EEPROM Error!"

"Error in communicaition with the hardware.  Can't create transport path or AutoSlave-Mode is active."

It is a Comsoft device for sure, but I couldn't find anything about turning off AutoSlave-Mode.  What are some potential solutions to this problem?  Thank you in advance.

PS Also, I notice that there seems to be a 24VDC "Power" input on the module (The green terminal block).  Does the module need to be powered through here separately from the cRIO?  Or will it draw its power from the cRIO itself?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,156 Views)

Hey Larry, 

The module needs to be powered externally to be discovered. if you see a blinking light in once it has finished powering up it is in autoslave mode. 

If you need to use it as a profibus master you need to take it out of autoslave mode. There is an example that does this, you will need to compile the example for your fpga before running it. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,152 Views)

Hello Jesse,

Thank you for your repl.y  

Does it need to be externally powered for normal operation then, or is it only for discovery.

Do you know the specific name of the example you're talking about?  I search for "Profibus" in the example finder but cannot find anything.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,147 Views)

Hi Larry, 

The getting started guide should walk through the entire setup process. The examples should be linked in the start menu. They are not in the example finder for the 1.0 driver. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,136 Views)

Hello Jesse,

Just wanted some clarification, as I'm not completely sure on the Master/Slave terminology.  I am using the PB to control a series of pumps daisy chained to the PB through the real-time controller hosted on the 9114 chassis.  In this case, I want to be running the cRIO PB as a master, correct?

-Larry

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,131 Views)

yep

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,129 Views)