Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compile LabVIEW Code to Arduino using Linx

Solved!
Go to solution

Is it possible to compile LabVIEW code using the Linx Hobbyist toolkit? 

I already own a copy of the TSxperts Arduino Compatible Compiler add on, however it looks like it has not been updated since 2015 when it was introduced.

Thanks

Steven Howell
Controls and Instrumentation Engineer
Jacobs Technologies
NASA Johnson Space Center
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,418 Views)

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to used LINX VIs in an executable through this may depend on what edition of LabVIEW you are using.  I am not sure if you can compile to an executable with the Community edition of LabVIEW.

I am not familiar with the TSxperts Arduino Compatible Compiler add-on you referenced so I cannot help you there.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,417 Views)

I might not have worded that correctly. 

What I want to do is to be able to write a LabVIEW VI and then compile it to run embedded on the Arduino target.

The TSXperts toolkit does just that, but in looking at different information on the Hobbyist toolkit, it sounds like this toolkit could be used to compile code to an Arduino as well. 

Steven Howell
Jacobs Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,407 Views)
Solution
Accepted by StevenHowell

No you can’t do that. Only for the Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black does it work like this. The Arduino platforms uses a different CPU architecture and are to resource constrained to allow that in the way the Linx Toolkit does that trick.

The TSExpert Toolkit did it differently by analyzing the diagram code and attempting to translate into C code and then using a standard Arduino compiler to create an executable file. But that is a lot of work and while fun to do as a trial to see that it can be done, an Herculean task to pull off for something that really fully works and then maintain it to keep it working. And that in a market that generally wants things for free! It simply doesn’t add up!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,379 Views)

Thanks for your answer Rolf.

That's a shame, I am working with a Controllino low cost PLC and was hoping to be able to use LabVIEW to deploy. The Arduino Compatible Compiler is good, however, it does not look like it is actively maintained? 

Steven Howell
Jacobs Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,351 Views)

@StevenHowell wrote:

Thanks for your answer Rolf.

That's a shame, I am working with a Controllino low cost PLC and was hoping to be able to use LabVIEW to deploy. The Arduino Compatible Compiler is good, however, it does not look like it is actively maintained? 

No it doesn't. Not enough interest from people willing to pay the license fee, to give enough motivation to keep working on I guess.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,329 Views)

Hey, LabView community! I need some help running my LabVIEW VI on my Raspberry Pi. I've heard about using LINX to do this, but I'm not familiar with how to use it. Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide some guidance? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,575 Views)