From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple executables access same field point/different channels

We have a cFp 2100 with analog I/O module and a relay module. Our I/O module monitors pressure tanks while the rly controls the valves on them. We had a VI developed to control 2 tanks, and built an executable off this. We want to add 2 more tanks quickly, but dont have anyone readily available to reprogram the VI to accomodate more tanks. My question is:
If we make another copy of the executable and run it in parallel with the first one, only changing the channels for the relay and I/O, can we run the 2 executables through the same field point, since they will be accessing different channels?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,785 Views)
You should be able to run the two in parallel.  Is the code running embedded on the cFP target or on a host pc?
Message 2 of 7
(6,780 Views)
This is the same guy, I was logged on under someone else's account by accident. It is currently running on the host PC. I should mention that we would require both executables to be running at the same time. They would be accessing different channels on the FP modules though. I am assuming if I rename another copy of the executable I can get it to open 2 instances of the program.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,764 Views)
Do you want this application to automatically start running at bootup (startup.exe ) or are you using some other means to start vi on the target cFP?  If you need it to autostart at boot up, I think you will need to create a single vi that contains 2 copies of what you are currently running and then create the startup.exe from that.
Message 4 of 7
(6,759 Views)
We start it by opening the executable manually. This is done whenever we need to start pressurizing tanks. It is user determined and doesnt start automatically. A desired scenario would be the technician opens exe #1, starts running it on a tank, then opens exe #2 and starts running a test on another tank while test #1 is running. From what you are telling me this is going to be possible, i just need to change the channel designations in the second executable so there are no conflicts in the cFP.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,754 Views)
That should work.  The only thing that could possibly bite you is if your app is very large/memory intensive.  Only so much memory and cpu cycles to go around.
Message 6 of 7
(6,751 Views)
Thanks for all your help
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,741 Views)