Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscribe to user postings?

Hi Molly.  Another request for the next time y'all are doing maintenance 😉

When a keyword match notification is sent would you be able to include the
Subject, author and date similar to the notification that is sent for a subscription? 
Makes skipping duplicates possible.

An even better solution would be if you could send only the
subscription notification _or_ the keyword match notification.

Thanks.

Matt
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(3,281 Views)
Matt -

I was able to work a little magic and get the Subject and Author (and Board Title) included in the search subscription message.  The date was a little trickier for some reason, so I couldn't get it.  However, the search subscription messages are sent "immediately" so the date will be the date you get the email alert.

I would love to only send one email alert and have documented that request.

Thanks!
Molly K.
Web Support & Operations Manager
National Instruments
Message 12 of 22
(3,271 Views)
Three cheers for Molly!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

And only three hours, surely a record!

Matt
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(3,260 Views)

You can actually subscribe to an RSS feed of posts made by a particular user now.

How?

1 - Find the user, click on their Alias to view their profile page
2 - Go to the Find All Posts by this User link
3 - In the Tracker Options, click Subscribe...

Thanks!

Molly K.
National Instruments
Message 14 of 22
(3,246 Views)
Hello Molly,

When we subscribe to an RSS feed of a thread, is it possible set it LIFO, I mean... when I subscribe to a less-than-10-posts thread, it's okay, but for a longer thread, I can only see the first 10 or 15 posts...
So what I'd like it to have the last post on top... Maybe this can be set in my browser (firefox), do you know ?

Thanks in advance !

Message Edité par TiTou le 03-27-2006 03:39 PM

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(3,233 Views)

Titou -

The default in the community is Oldest to Newest.  The only way to change that is to be logged in and set your personal preference (which I'm guessing you have already done). 

I haven't tried this yet, so you can experiment, but.... I'm guessing that through RSS, you aren't logged in so it goes by the community default instead of your personal preference.  I'm not sure if there is a way to wiggle around this and have the RSS feed think that you are logged in so it uses your preferences instead of the default.  

I have two ideas I guess:

1 - See if the RSS feeder is OK with you adding this redirect to the front of the URL (I'm guessing this is unlikely, but worth a shot).  For example:
http://sine.ni.com/niforum/niforum?requireLogin=True&forumDU=http://forums.ni.com/rss/board?board.id...

2 - See if the community would be OK with us changing the default to Newest to Oldest sort instead of Oldest to Newest.

If the first option doesn't work, we can talk about the second one or other alternative methods to wiggle around the login.

Thanks!

Molly K.
National Instruments
Message 16 of 22
(3,205 Views)
Molly,

Your explanation is confusing me...

An rss feed made on a message board (e.g. BreakPoint) will be Newest to Oldest - what I call LIFO,
and
An rss feed made on a thread (e.g. Darren's weekly Nugget inside of BreakPoint) will be Oldest to Newest - what I call FIFO...

Is it due to my settings ?
  to be honest I don't remember what I put in my settings... but still... why is there that difference ?

Message Edité par TiTou le 03-29-200604:31 PM

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(3,203 Views)

TiTou -

The default settings for this community are exactly as you described:

LIFO for Messages in a Board (LIFO by latest post to the thread)
FIFO for Messages in a Thread

Users have the option to change their personal settings:

For Messages in a Board - LIFO by latest post in the thread or LIFO by date the thread was started**
For Messages in a Thread - FIFO, LIFO, or Threaded

** This functionality was broken in the latest upgrade and we are working to get it back currently.

It sounds like we need to ask the community if we can change the default sort for the messages in the thread to be LIFO instead of FIFO and the RSS feed will do what you want.

Is that more or less clear?

Thanks!

Molly K.
National Instruments
Message 18 of 22
(3,176 Views)
Thank you Molly for making things clear, and thank you also for beeing that responsive to our queries 😉

You're doing great job !

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(3,168 Views)
Is changing the default sort for all users the correct answer?  If I'm viewing the message board I want the messages sorted in FIFO order.  I do agree with TiTou that the RSS feed should show LIFO order.  And when testing it with my feed reader, it is.  I'm using Sage (a Firefox plugin) and I see 19 messages in this thread in reverse chronological order (LIFO).
----
I am the founder of CnCSoftwareSolutions. When not cleaning up baby drool, I write about test data or work on Vision, a tool for understanding your test data. Visit me at www.cncsoftwaresolutions.com
Message 20 of 22
(3,166 Views)