From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forums not opening using Firefox browser

Hi All,
    Has anyone else run into the problem that started for me last night ? I have been using Firefox as my primary browser for the last year +, with little problem on this site and most others. Yesterday evening I tried to log onto the NI discussion forums and got a message that the forums were down for maintenance. Never thought to try IE until this morning when "Ben" said he could get on ok. The main NI site comes up fine, and I can navigate to all the other points in it fine (at least the few that I tried), but no discussion forum! :-[

P.M.
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(7,032 Views)
I'm not having any problems with Firefox today.
----
I am the founder of CnCSoftwareSolutions. When not cleaning up baby drool, I write about test data or work on Vision, a tool for understanding your test data. Visit me at www.cncsoftwaresolutions.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 24
(7,028 Views)

What version are you using (Firefox), I'm using 1.5.0.1

And still getting the message. Weird. 

P.M.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 24
(7,027 Views)
I'm on 1.5.0.1 as well.  Are you still having issues with Mozilla and not IE?
----
I am the founder of CnCSoftwareSolutions. When not cleaning up baby drool, I write about test data or work on Vision, a tool for understanding your test data. Visit me at www.cncsoftwaresolutions.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24
(7,026 Views)
Well I'm able to use Firefox again on this machine. I went to another machine here and it worked fine, so it wasn't some weirdness with our firewall. I messed with the cache and cookies and it works again. Don't know what changed yesterday afternoon. Maybe they were doing maintenance and Firefox kept trying to use the cached page. Love computers ....

P.M.
Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(7,029 Views)
I think the machine that serves the Exchange was re-booted yesterday afternoon.

About the same time I noticed the new copyright blurb at the bottom of the screen.

You apparently did not agree with the use agreement. Smiley Wink

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(7,025 Views)

@Ben wrote:

About the same time I noticed the new copyright blurb at the bottom of the screen.

Actually, that link has been on the bottom of every page for several days already. I believe either Jim or Michael already pointed out in the past the not-at-all-nice paragraph which states that NI can take what you write here and do whatever it wants with it (including modifying it) without even acknowledging the source.

Now, granted, this is a public place and no forces anybody to participate, and I don't know if materials are actually used elsewhere, but I really don't like that specific clause (and the same behavior was pointed to by Rolf regarding the zip algorithm found in LV 8). If they want to use something I wrote, the least that should decently be done is pointing to the source.

Yes, it does provide a bit of a negative incentive to post code, etc. Not that anyone should post some really neat algorithm that they wanted to keep the IP of, it is public, but it is worded giving them all control.  Oh well, happens when a company started by engineers/scientist brings in lawyers. Sort of like when they started letting just anyone use the Darpanet, oops, internet!

P.M.
Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

Message 8 of 24
(6,995 Views)
Speaking of which :

"Harvesting or otherwise collecting information about others, including e-mail addresses.".

Does this mark the end of the E-List?

I personally don't like this clause basically disowning me from my contributions here. Smiley Mad

Come on NI,  When we suggested the top contributors should slow down, we didn't expect legal incentives to do so. Smiley Very Happy

It might seem like making a mountain out of a molehill, but I don't like the way NI is going about this.  We donate precious time of our own to help NI (And ourselves, granted) with this forum.

So what's the legal status of all my posts before this terms of use came into force??

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Message 9 of 24
(6,987 Views)

@shoneill wrote:
I personally don't like this clause basically disowning me from my contributions here. Smiley Mad

Actually I don't think this clause is valid anyway. At least not here in Germany. AFAIK in Germany the copyright always is the author's (or his company's) and you can't change that. You can give someone the right to use some work, but I doubt that such a general TOS (I even do not sign!) accords to German (European?) law...
Message 10 of 24
(6,981 Views)