From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Update

That could well be part of what happened to me.... See question by Help / Conseils

I thought the stapling effect of country profile and language were all the fault of my ip location or browser cookie, hence the earlier question.

Regards

Conseils

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 54
(3,421 Views)

A new problem -

I noticed for some time now that rating a post opened a new page (instead of just refreshing the page, as I'm pretty sure it used to do until July), but I didn't mind that much. The thing is that it opens the new page with the address of the rated post, so clicking the blue reply button causes the reply to be a reply to the rated post instead of a reply at the end of the thread (example - I 5-starred #3 and then I'm almost positive I used the blue reply button, and you can see my reply came in after #3 [threaded view]).

Like I said, considering Lithium claim they have the best community software (or at least they used to, the page linked to at the bottom of the page doesn't say that anymore. Maybe they're listening to the criticism?), they sure do have a lot of bugs.

(3,395 Views)
And another annoying aspect - if I rate a post on a muli-paged thread the new page loaded is the first page of the thread instead of the same page where I was.

(3,394 Views)

Several of the oddities of the user experience in the forums are related to the "Sort by Threading" view we use by default.

Some of these oddities include:
-- Links to posts within long threads (threads that have multiple pages) often take you to the wrong place
-- Apparently when you rate a message in a long thread you may end up somewhere you don't expect
-- Your reply to a thread may end up squeezed inbetween other existing messages unexpectedly

So, we currently have a poll running to help us decide if we should keep "Sort by Threading" as the default view in the community or if we should change to "Sort Ascending" or "Sort Descending."

Please participate in the poll!

Keep in mind that you can always override the default with your personal preference.

Thanks!

Message Edited by Molly K on 11-09-2005 04:43 PM

Molly K.
Web Support & Operations Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 54
(3,315 Views)
Molly, that poll is almost impossible to find. Why not place it in the announcements section with a NEW attached?
As I said, my vote is definitely Oldest to Newest, with automatic quoting (if possible).

(3,294 Views)

Well, I'm happy to see that an old request of mine (adding more icons to show thread I responded to) has been answered (although I don't particularly like those new icons, but I assume I will get used to them).

Thanks Molly.

I assume this change didn't come on its own. If there were any other changes, what are they?

(3,213 Views)

Things that changed last night...

1 - Empty Messages
There is now a minimum number of characters required in the body of a message to be able to post to prevent accidents.  The caveat is that it currently includes the signature in the character count.

2 - Icons
The folder icons were updated so now there is a blue arrow on every message you have posted to regardless of whether is new, read, hot, or any combination of those.

3 - New Threads vs. All Messages Subscriptions
This feature is working again so you can subscribe to just the new threads in a board instead of all the new messages.

Happy new year! 

Molly K.
National Instruments
Message 47 of 54
(3,209 Views)

Hi Molly,

These features are cool ! 

It makes follow-up easier ( the second change).

Happy new year to all!

Regards

Dev

Message 48 of 54
(3,194 Views)
Is there a way to sort the 'subscriptions' table, I am asking in preperation to making it a suggestion.

Most systems now support DHTML behaviour for sorting tables, or perhaps you prefer to handle it server side.
What I want is to be able to sort it into date order, at least. At the moment it just seems to be random.

This is the table I am referring to http://forums.ni.com/ni/user_subscriptions

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 54
(3,076 Views)
Conseils -

There isn't currently a way to sort the Subscriptions, but we have documented this as a feature request in the past and will add your name to the list of people requesting it.

Thanks!

Molly K.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 54
(3,033 Views)