FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unrecoverable RoboRIO error?

Solved!
Go to solution

We were able to perform the firmware update, but the image update would always error out with the unable to download image to target.

Called NI on Friday, and they suggested trying to image the roboRio first, before applying the firmware update.  Did this on Saturday and received the same error (roboRio goes into continuous flash mode).  At this point, the NI MAX will not communicate with the roboRio.

I will place a call with NI today to see if they have had any luck with recreating and solving this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 39
(2,090 Views)

Good news and bad news on his front.

The NI Engineers suggested trying to image the roboRio using the ethernet cable.

Set the PC's IP address to 169.254.11.11   255.255.0.0

The imaging worked!

I then updated the firmware, all was fine.

I ran test code from my PC to make sure all connections were wired correctly with no issue.

I then built the project code and deployed it to the roboRio.

When I restarted the roboRio I received the continuous flashing status light.

I went through the same procedure again with the same result.

This is consistent with the first time I received the continuous flashing light, after a restart of the roboRio.

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 39
(2,090 Views)

Mark,

Once you've imaged the roboRIO, have you checked if the DriverStation is able to communicate with it before pushing any code? If you restart the roboRIO without pushing any code to it, do you still get the continuous flashing status light? What programming language are you working in?

Daniel C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 39
(2,090 Views)

I am running in Labview. 

I made sure the DriverStation was communicating with the roboRio.  I was able to run the motor example on the four wheels to make sure that they each worked. 

I then loaded my mecanum project and ran it from my laptop and it worked fine.

I  built the project and deployed the code.

When I rebooted after deploying was when I received the continuous flashing light.

I have never tried restarting the roboRio after the image process.  Previously, after running the recovery configuration I was able to reboot the roboRio and have it boot up in Safe mode. (status light flashing twice).

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 39
(2,090 Views)

Hmm interesting. Is the mecanum project one of the example projects? What do you mean by "ran it from my laptop"? The code should be running on the roboRIO. Are you building a startup application out of the project? I'm a bit confused here. Could you clarify please?

Daniel C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 39
(2,090 Views)

I used one of the supplied example projects for the roboRio, the mecanum drive robot. 

By "running from my laptop", I have the computer connected to the roboRio when running the project so that I may debug any issues with front panel probes.  This part works ok. 

I then go under FRC Robot Build Specifications and run the Build, and then Run as Startup.  When the roboRio is rebooted at this point is when the continuous flashing of the status light begins.

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 39
(2,090 Views)

Can you attach the built executable that you end up deploying and we can try to reproduce using that binary.

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 39
(2,090 Views)

files are included

Update using the NI-MAX format routine.

Using USB cable

roboRio in continuous flash mode

Run Recovery configuration roboRio in safe mode.

Press reset until status light goes on, roboRio goes into continuous flash mode when it comes up.

Power turned off and then on, roboRio comes up in safe mode.

Use NI-Max to format roboRio, roborRio in safe mode after reformat.

Press reset until status light goes on, roboRio goes into continuous flash mode when it comes up.

Attempt to image roboRio, error Unable to load image to target.  roboRio in continuous flash mode.

Using ethernet cable.

IP Address set to 169.254.11.11 subnet 255.255.0.0

roboRio in continuous flash mode

Run Recovery configuration roboRio in safe mode.

Use NI-Max to format roboRio, roborRio in safe mode after reformat.

Attempt to image roboRio, error Unable to load image to target.  roboRio in continuous flash mode.

Message was edited by: mgurgol

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 39
(2,090 Views)

We had to hold the reset button for several seconds and then it reset to safe mode.

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 39
(1,474 Views)