Examples and IP for Software-Designed Instruments and NI FlexRIO

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Streaming Example for the NI PXIe-5644R

disk.png

Disk Streaming Example for the NI PXIe-5644R »

To record and play back the full RF bandwidth of the NI PXIe-5644R, this example uses NI-RIO zero-copy FIFOs and asynchronous TDMS file I/O to log up to 80 MHz of bandwidth to disk for hours, then play it back.

Description: The NI PXIe-5644R is capable of bidirectional DMA at rates over 700 MB/s. When combined with high-performance data storage products from National Instruments, this example enables recording and playback of the full 80 MHz of RF bandwidth of the VST, with I/Q rates up to 120 MS/s, or 480 MB/s.

Additional Documentation:

• After Installation - C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012\examples\NI Disk Streaming Example for the NI PXIe-5644R\documentation\VST Streaming (NI PXIe-5644R).html

Compatibility:

Dependencies:

NI LabVIEW 2012 Support for NI PXIe-5644R 1.0

FPGA Footprint:

Xilinx Virtex-6 LX195T

• 20.6% / 25703 LUTs
  • 13.0% / 32388 Flip-Flops
  • 50.3% / 173 Block RAMs
  • 30.5% / 195 DSP Slices
  • >90% compile success rate

Latest Version:

Previous Versions:

• none available

Note: All source on this community is distributed using VI Package Manager (VIPM). For more details on VIPM, please read A Note on VI Package Manager

Ryan Verret
Product Marketing Engineer
Signal Generators
National Instruments
Comments
ASEAN
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

Hi all,

Is it possible to use this example program for PXIe-5645 instead of 5644?

Thanks,

Roberto

Applications Engineer | National Instruments
Singapore (65) 6226 5886 | Malaysia (60) 3 7948 2000 | Thailand (66) 2 298 4800
Philippines (63) 2 659 1722 | Vietnam (84) 28 3911 3150 | Indonesia (62) 21 2783 2355
Example_and_IP_Admin
on

Roberto,

The source code only exists for the PXIe-5644R, so you'd need to port the FPGA code over to the PXIe-5645R.  Is there any reason you're looking to use this example instead of the FPGA Extensions version?  Do you need to put additional IP on the FPGA image?

Jon

ASEAN
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

I've managed to recompile the FPGA code for the PXIe-5645R and its working fine.

We have a customer who has a PXIe-5645R and they just need the RF record and playback functionality to capture RF signals using their VST.

This code should be able to fulfill their needs, correct?

What would be the difference between this Disk Streaming Example and the FPGA Extensions version?

Thank you.

Regards,

Roberto

Philippines (63) 2 659 1722 | Vietnam (84) 28 3911 3150 | Indonesia (62) 21 2783 2355
Example_and_IP_Admin
on

Roberto,

Glad to hear you've got something working!  The example that I pointed you to uses RFSA/RFSG + FPGA Extensions for record & playback.  Either solution will work for you, but some applications might require some of the more advanced configuration options provided through the driver.  Furthermore, the one I pointed you to has support for the PXIe-5644R/45R/46R out of the box.

Jon

ASEAN
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

Thanks for the clarification Jon!

LV_COder
on

Hello EveryOne,

1. I have downloaded the example and able to record and playback the RF signal Properly.

2. I have read the VI and seen that for storing itsbeen used TDMS file Format.

But is it possible to write adnd read the data to binary file using a LabVIEWs VIs Write to binary file and read from binary file instead of TDMS file.

3. For Storing the Data its being use here acquire read region invoke method(See the attached Snap) to save in tdms file

Is it possible to write and read the data directly ??Read Region.JPG

Instead of Taking Read region refnum output and giving the TDMS VI for stroring.

Is there any way to get the actual data not the read region refnum.

Thanks in advance.

Example_and_IP_Admin
on

Hello,

Yes, you can read the data directly.  The "RF Input Stream FIFO.Acquire Read Region" can be configured by clicking on the text below the lavendar banner.  You can change it to a "Read" call which returns integer data rather than a DMA region reference.

Jon

LV_COder
on

Thanks Jon for your quicker respone.

I have tried to get the data directly using the above invoke method as you have mentioned "Read" but i have got empty array.

It will be very helpful to me if Is it possible for you to share any VI regarding the above.

Thanks

Hemant

Example_and_IP_Admin
on

Hemant,

If you're getting an empty array, one of three things is occuring.

(1) You're setting the elements to read to 0.

(2) The node is returning an error.

(3)  The node isn't running at all for some reason.

Try probing around to figure which of these is happeneing.

Jon

LV_COder
on

Thanks Jon,

Can you please tell me how to change the date type of FIFO Write/Read

invoke property as default is U32.

I have tried to change in the general property in the project inside

the FIFOs folder but its not being changing in the invoke property.

Thanks In advance.

Hemant

Terry_ALE
Active Participant Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Which FIFO?  One of those in the FPGA target under FIFOs?  I assume those can be changed but that may mess up the FPGA design.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
Example_and_IP_Admin
on

Hemant,

Changing the data type of the FIFO requires re-compilation.  What are you hoping to acoomplish through doing this?  The U32 data type packs one I16 sample each for I and Q into a single unit.  The host code works on the assumption that this is maintained.  If you let me know your end goal, I can provide some additional guidance.

Jon

LV_COder
on

Thanks Jon,

I will check again and get back to you with full details.

Apart from this above task.

I have created a simple write and read using FIFO but not able to perform the operatin.(Getting error)

1. I want to check what i have written to the FIFO and what its being reads from FIFO value, as it should be same.

Can you please help me regarding thsi basic operation or can you please share some Basic VI for perofroming basic write and read using FIFO.

Please see the attached snap of the VI and error what i am getting.

Please help me understand this issues.

Write and Read Using FIFO.JPG

Error.JPG

LV_COder
on

Hello Jon,

It will be very helpful to me if you will help.

Please see the full explaination of my goal that i wanna achieve

1.I am trying to perform the arbitary waveform streaming as i was able to do with other pxi using the example below(C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\examples\instr\niRFSG\RFSG Arbitrary Waveform Streaming.vi) as the streaming enabled property(that used in RFSG Arbitrary waveform streming.vi) does not support in 5644r.

2. I wanna read the wavefrom file as we have been reading in the above example for streaming(RFSG Arbitrary Waveform Streaming.vi)Binary file.

3. Wanna use Binary file only(NO TDMS).

4. As in the Disk streaming example for 5644r write region reference and read region is being used, i am not getting how to achieve the streaming using Binary file format for 5644r.

Can any one please help me regarding this above issue.

Thanks in advance

Terry_ALE
Active Participant Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Data in a TDMS file is a binary (i.e. not ASCII) format.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
LV_COder
on

Yes you are right only Terry.

But there are different API in tdms like TDMS Advanced Asynchronoud Read(Data Ref)f function thats being used for writting and all.

I just wanna use basic Binary File I/O as its being used in the below example for other PXI

RFSG Arbitrary Waveform Streaming.vi).

Thanks

romanator
on

Could you/someone post the example instead of having it go through the JKI VIPM?  I have LabVIEW 2015 installed with RFSA/RFSG/RFmx and it won't allow me download due to an "incompatible version" of LabVIEW.  I'd rather not install an older version of LabVIEW since I think that there isn't really an incompatibility with LabVIEW, only a missing flag on the VIPM package.

Disk Streaming Example for the NI PXIe-5644R 1.0.1 (LabVIEW 2012)

^ JKI VIPM does not allow this to be compatible with LabVIEW 2015