Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manu.NET

DaqMX should check the state of NI services ...

Hello,

DaqMx Vis only works when the NI Device Loader service is running.

If this windows service is not running, DaqMx functions generates error like "Device not found..., undefined board, undefined hardware ...."

For some week, i get such an error and it take me a long time to point the real cause !

A windows or software update had changed the service startup sequence ... and the Ni device loader service was no more starting.

The solution to this problem was to configure the NI Device Loader service in order to force restart on start failure. 

It should be nice if daqMX functions could generate the "right error".

An error like : "Ni services are not running please check their current state ... The DaqMx devices could not be accessed when Ni Device Loader service is not running".

This problem also generates problem in MAX ! (The device treeview takes a long time to expand ... and the device autotest fail)

Thanks for kudossing this idea which could help understanding windows services problems.

Manu.net
3 Comments
bstreiff
Active Participant

NI-DAQmx 9.5.5 was just released, which improves the reliability of the NI Device Loader service.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
manu.NET
Active Participant

Hello bstreiff,

My idea has nothing against Ni Device Loader service.

The problem is, that particular windows configurations, or third party software installations, can cause the Ni Device Loader Service to starv !

So the idea is : Because the Ni Device Loader service is required for DaqMx and Max, the wellness of this service should be checked when these tools are launched ! Improving the service will not correct the third party problems !

A little check ... for well behaviour of NI products !

I add this check in my Labview applications. ( under DOS : SC QUERY <Service name> )

Manu.net 

Manu.net
gwjtstengr

Hi Manu.net,

I agree, a check to see if NI Device Loader Service has started, and a more specific error message

when it has failed would be helpful.  I recently spent several hours over a couple of weeks trying

to figure out why my USB DAQ was not always starting correctly when plugged in. 

A helpful NI Application Engineer pointed me to instructions for changing the NI Device Loader

Service recovery properties as you mentioned.  This has worked well, so far.  However, having

more specific failure diagnostics might have led me to this solution sooner.

Regards,

gwjtstengr

Thank You,

gwjtstengr