DQMH Consortium Toolkits Feature Requests

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CyGa

In testers create the 'Wait for reply' constant instead of leaving the input empty

Hey Cyril, thank you so much for your trust in DQMH and for taking time out of your day to share your idea with us.

We believe this idea would only benefit a very few users, and might also disturb some other users.

So, we decline this request, at least for the next DQMH version.

Again, thank you for your input; it is most appreciated. Please keep those ideas coming!

When creating a Request and Reply event, the scripter creates the corresponding calling code.
In this code the request VI is added on the diagram with all inputs empty (except for the error IOs).

Most of the time I select the VI and perform a 'CTRL+space + CTRL+D' to create all input/output controls and indicators.

And, therefore, it creates a boolean control for the 'Wait for Reply ?' input.

99.9% percent of the time I replace that control with a constant value, since I know if I need to wait for a reply or not for that specific request. And there is (close to) no chance that I'll need to set that using a control on my tester GUI.

Maybe placing the request VI and adding a constant linked to the 'Wait for reply ?' input on the tester diagram would help reducing the number of redundant actions one achieves when coding the tester ?

Connecting the constant would avoid having to change a control created by the 'CTRL+space + CTRL+D' shortcut into a constant each time.

CyGa_0-1659105078650.png

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
4 Comments
joerg.hampel
Active Participant

I like this idea. The only thing I'm missing in your screenshot is a label for the boolean constant.

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

Darren
Proven Zealot

If I want the default value of a recommended/optional input, I leave it unwired, as I don't like redundant code on my diagram. I'd rather Ctrl-Space > Ctrl-D and delete the controls/indicators I don't want than Ctrl-Space > Ctrl D, delete controls/indicators I don't want, and still have to delete a constant I don't want.

Also, I often choose not to use an indicator of the reply payload... To keep my tester panel clean, I try to format relevant reply payload data into a string and add it to the status indicator instead.

Finally, I never create an indicator of the timeout, as a timeout will be reflected in the error output of the VI (as of recent DQMH versions) and the Status Updated broadcast.

CyGa
Active Participant

OK, I get it.

I my case I prefer having the original reply cluster to avoid interpretation in the data value and string conversion code to add.

The Timeout ? indictor just comes with the CTRL+D shortcut ; at least it allows to see rapidly if the error occurence actually comes from a timeout.

The point of adding the constant was :

1. Close to no chance that I need to change it from the FP. I know at tester design time if I want the reply or not.

2. Then it doesn't bother me if I want to create the controls and indicators using CTRL+SPACE > CTRL+D shortcut

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
mbaudot
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

Hey Cyril, thank you so much for your trust in DQMH and for taking time out of your day to share your idea with us.

We believe this idea would only benefit a very few users, and might also disturb some other users.

So, we decline this request, at least for the next DQMH version.

Again, thank you for your input; it is most appreciated. Please keep those ideas coming!

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!