Community Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ludicrous Ways to Fix Broken LabVIEW Code

This is the Ludicrous Ways to Fix Broken LabVIEW Code presentation from Darren.

The slides were last refreshed in February 2024. The demo files (saved with LabVIEW 2020) are included below.

You can watch a recording of the presentation here.

(bit.ly/ludicrouslabview redirects here)

Comments
D*
on

This was a big help. Other ways that I have gotten EXE builds to work:

• Keep block diagrams
  • Remove diagram disable structures (leaving the "active frame")
another-roohcifer
on

This is super helpful, Darren!  Do you happen to have VI Analyzer tests that flag VIMs and xnodes that you could share?  I checked the VI Analyzer Enthusiasts forum and didn't see any there, but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot?  Cheers!

crossrulz
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
on

Find XNodes: https://forums.ni.com/t5/VI-Analyzer-Enthusiasts/Test-Find-XNode/ta-p/4238382 

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
another-roohcifer
on

Oof, that's embarrassing that I missed that, but I see what happened:

Screenshot 2022-09-28 114320.png

Thank you!

Kyle97330
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

I found this and was looking for ways to exorcise Xnodes from my code before they cause problems (they might already have, I've had my fair share of random issues...)

Anyway, one of the more common nodes I had used was "Match regular expression".  In many cases I was able to replace it with "Match pattern" but there were some cases where the search pattern was only supported as a regular expression and not by "Match pattern".

After a bit of searching I found this VI in <vi.lib> which appears to be part of the xnode code:

\vi.lib\regexp\Match Regular Expression_Execute.vi

It appears to be a replacement where all it seems to do differently is return the substrings as an array instead of having them come out from individual outputs on the "Match regular expression" node (if it was expanded).

I've verified that it exists and seems to behave equivalently in LV2015, 2018 and 2021 (the versions I have installed somewhere at the moment), though it changed slightly sometime in 2019-2021 (front panel laid out different, some internal code ever so slightly different).

Can anyone (Darren?) verify that this is an equivalent replacement completely, or is there a chance of encountering edge cases, since I can't see the Xnode internal construction to verify this for sure?

Darren
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

Yes, it is an equivalent replacement completely. 

another-roohcifer
on

Just double checking that there's no existing VIAn test to find malleables.  If not, I'll write one and post it on the VIAn Enthusiasts forum 🙂

Darren
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

As of today (2022-10-10), I do not see a 'Find Malleable VIs' test on the List of Community VI Analyzer Tests.

Contributors