Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Exam Solutions for Review

This is my try at the Elevator CLA Exam. First CLA exam I tried (will try the ATM later), so I'm not very happy with my performance and will need to do better next time. Happy to get any feedback! I hard-stopped after 4 hours, so it's quite incomplete. How far from passing or failing do you think I am?

Thanks

Emmanuel

0 Kudos
Message 261 of 623
(6,577 Views)

I made a second attempt at the elevator. I wrote it after watching a video from Muun doing the exam with the Model View Controller (without OOP) (https://www.reddit.com/r/LabVIEW/comments/3939jy/postlive_cla_practice_exam/). I tried to implement a simple version of the MVC by creating a central model that stores all queue and event refs across the application. I also added proper wrapping API for the messages to send, but the API still takes the queue or event references as input, so each caller still needs to pass the reference. I was doing this a third time (which I won't!), I would put the 'get model' inside each VI of the message API, so the callers of the API don't need to pass the references...

I'd lobve to get some feedback before I try the ATM exam practice in a few days. 

0 Kudos
Message 262 of 623
(6,559 Views)

And here is my attempt at the ATM exam! Again, any feedback appreciated (ignore the elevator attempts, this one is better).

Thanks

Emmanuel

0 Kudos
Message 263 of 623
(6,526 Views)

Hi All,

Attached is my attempt at the Car Wash Controller. Total time 3:40. Thanks for the feedback and critiques.

Kind regards,

Rick Wagner

0 Kudos
Message 264 of 623
(6,509 Views)

@rgwagner888 wrote:

Hi All,

Attached is my attempt at the Car Wash Controller. Total time 3:40. Thanks for the feedback and critiques.

Kind regards,

Rick Wagner

Overall, Not Bad. but you have some work to do.

Stop using Autopopulating folders in your projects!  (They are evil - worse than Globals!)

I see you are on version 8.6.   VI Analyzer was not encluded with LV 8.6 Base so, you are at a severe disadvantage. VIA shows 4 high priority errors that will cost points you don't need to lose. You need to upgrade and get familliar with current development enviornments.  File IO palettes changed a lot since 8.6 and you will use them on the exam. 

How many 0 constants do you need?  Sometimes "Use default if unwired" is helpful

Tip strips are MANDATORY for anything a user sees.  you have none on your main vi.  

What does "Read Wash Options.vi" do?  First did you really need a subvi for that? Second you really DO need something in the vi documentation for that!

So, your documentation is poor (at best) and your style could use some help from upgrading to a modern IDE. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 265 of 623
(6,449 Views)
RE: Autopopulating Folders See: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/7197/en/ (Best Practices for Managing NI LabVIEW Applications Using the Project Explorer) "Recommendations Use autopopulating and virtual folders to enforce organization and structure for your application files in the LabVIEW Project Explorer. Autopopulating folders are ideal for preserving and maintaining the structure on disk, but there are situations in which you either cannot use them or need customization. In these cases, use virtual folders to customize the organization of files in the LabVIEW Project Explorer." Kind regards, Rick
0 Kudos
Message 266 of 623
(6,425 Views)

RE: LabVIEW 8.6

Code was written in LabVIEW 2015 and exported to LabVIEW 8.6 for the convenience of others.

Kind regards,

Rick

0 Kudos
Message 267 of 623
(6,423 Views)

@rgwagner888 wrote:
RE: Autopopulating Folders See: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/7197/en/ (Best Practices for Managing NI LabVIEW Applications Using the Project Explorer) "Recommendations Use autopopulating and virtual folders to enforce organization and structure for your application files in the LabVIEW Project Explorer. Autopopulating folders are ideal for preserving and maintaining the structure on disk, but there are situations in which you either cannot use them or need customization. In these cases, use virtual folders to customize the organization of files in the LabVIEW Project Explorer." Kind regards, Rick

Emphasis added.  Now go fix your documentation issuesSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 268 of 623
(6,392 Views)

I need some advices of my CLA smaples practice.

Are they good enough to pass the exam?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 269 of 623
(6,327 Views)

Hello,

I am preparing to take my CLD exam in a couple of weeks and was curious if someone would mind reviewing one of my completed sample exams (Car Wash) to see how I did and to get any tips that the community may have. I was able to complete the attached file in about 3 1/2 hours including documentation.

Thank you very much in advance for your advice and help.

Mike

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Miami University
Instrumentation Laboratory

CLA Logo
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 270 of 623
(6,156 Views)