BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple LabVIEW Puzzle Challenge

Shortly after solving it I realized that it could be pared down to 160 solutions by rotating the star 60 degrees 5 times.  From there, I guess you can pare it down to 80 solutions, because each solution has a mirror image that is technically the same star.

-D

Message 21 of 192
(8,582 Views)
Here is another program that solves the Star using the proposed line of solution you gave. Instead of calculating every possible solution it simple tries random solution at the star. It usually takes less than 1 minute in solving it.

Its not a deterministic way to go but it can solve the puzzle quite fast.

Message Edited by BeCeGa on 09-10-2008 03:43 PM
Benjamin C
Principal Systems Engineer // CLA // CLED
Download All
Message 22 of 192
(8,578 Views)

ShotSimon wrote:

Darren,

That is amazing and very well done.  My guess is you are a puzzle master.

I've decided to leave Puzzle #3 open for you to choose...since I can't give away prizesSmiley Very Happy

Try to keep the level of difficultly between LabVIEW Puzzle #1 and Puzzle #2.  -SS

Thanks, I do enjoy puzzles, although I'd hardly consider myself a Puzzle Master (my unofficial score of 155 for the Google U.S. Puzzle Championship barely cracked the top 50).  One that I tried to solve a while back and never got anywhere was the Round Robin problem posted on LAVA a few years ago.  I kept getting stuck on the part mentioned by the original poster, where my code would hang when encountering a matchup that had already been generated by a previous iteration, even though the other matchups were different.  Can anybody solve this one?

-D

Message 23 of 192
(8,567 Views)

BeCeGa,

Very nicely done as well.

I think if you combine Darrens way of doing the six comparisons (five are only needed if one row is pre-filled) with your solution you end up with a very simple solution.  I also played around with mathscript commands such as randperm since when I originally solved this problem I was tormented for weeks and eventually solved it with MATLAB.  -SS

Message 24 of 192
(8,531 Views)

Darren,

OK not 100% yet but I may be close.  In my example every two rows represents the round robin match-ups.  I was thinking if you were to further randomize the matches, every two rows as a group.  Then follows this by flipping the columns around, assuming these represent what field/court a person is on, then the result is a very random looking.  If you flip Team 1 from the top to the bottom in the bottom half of the games before this randomization.  You could use the top and the bottom to designate who wears what jersey, serves first, etc.  Note when using an odd number of players the highest team number represents the by week for the opposing team.

Regards,

-SS

Message Edited by ShotSimon on 09-11-2008 04:18 PM

Download All
Message 25 of 192
(8,508 Views)

I think you're going to find that the randomization gets bogged down with large numbers of matchups, i.e. it's not as simple as switching around rows.  Your algorithm for generating the initial matchups seems promising...let me know if you are able to enhance it to the point where it's generating random matchups for a given group number.

-D

Message 26 of 192
(8,498 Views)

Darren,

Here is my new randomized version, let me know what you thinkSmiley Happy  -SS

Message Edited by ShotSimon on 09-12-2008 03:05 PM

Download All
Message 27 of 192
(8,458 Views)

LabVIEW Puzzle #4

Draw a 7x7 black and white board as shown and graphically solve for the longest closed uncrossed knight's tour for n = 7 (length 24).  Assume you don't know the solution and are trying to find it.  -SS

Message Edited by ShotSimon on 09-12-2008 03:31 PM

Message 28 of 192
(8,451 Views)

ShotSimon wrote:

Here is my new randomized version, let me know what you think  -SS

I'm no mathematician, but that looks pretty random to me!  😛  Nice work, I'll post a link to this thread on LAVA in case the original poster is curious.  As for your Knight's Path problem, don't expect a solution from me on that one anytime soon, I don't even know where to begin!

-D

Message 29 of 192
(8,444 Views)

Darren wrote:

I'm no mathematician, but that looks pretty random to me!  😛  Nice work, I'll post a link to this thread on LAVA in case the original poster is curious.  As for your Knight's Path problem, don't expect a solution from me on that one anytime soon, I don't even know where to begin!

Darren,

I think you could further enhance it by creating a fourth randomizer that would walk through each two row pair and randomly move the pairs around.  I noticed that 1 will always be in the same column since I left out this step. -SS  

Message 30 of 192
(8,439 Views)