BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightmare...

Race issues are always an issue, have caused countless problems over the years.
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 56
(8,911 Views)

I got lucky this time!

I'm waiting for my exit interview after taking over a project that had been started by a less competent programmer.  Lucky?  You bet! all he had accomplished was a front panel with constants on the BD.  VaporWare is easy to "Refactor"

Smiley Very Happy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 56
(8,871 Views)
Waiting for your exit interview though?
Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 56
(8,855 Views)

Broken Arrow wrote:
They chatted up some "seasoned" C++ programmers at the site, and they all jumped on the anti-LabVIEW bandwagon.

I have a number of qualification in a number of programming languages, but I tend not to directly compare them to each other. Every piece of emerging technology has its niche and its uses. I'm sure even an iPad has a real use somewhere.

When somebody does start bashing on something I am knowlegable on, I enjoy being devil's advocate and take the other side of the argument just to see what their views are, and whether they are misinformed. 

With regards to militant C++ developers, I will point them towards an interview with Stroustrup in which he explains that C++ is an overly complex and broken language with its own bizare idiosyncrasies - BY DESIGN. In this day and age of powerful monsters of machines; do we need to have such fine manual control over memory management? In most cases no. Often you might if you need to do extreme optimising, but were that the case, would you even be using C++ and not a lower level language?

On the other hand, if somebody were to say LabVIEW is the best language ever, and nobody else in the world should ever need to use any other language ever again; that is quite clearly a flawed statement.

Some of the previous chaps doing my job were from the enormous single VI school of developing, with locals and race conditions all over the place. Test rigs were erratic, and in one case dangerous. As such, management were blaming LabVIEW and were on the verge of moving everything to Visual Basic, because one of they and some of the scientists have used to use it to write macros in Word/Excel. The thought of people who have never been trained in software or computer science, programming dangerous rigs is terrifying. I was employed because of my software development experience, and I started to learn LabVIEW, and found that it's just a programming language; just like any other.

The problems in any language are the untrained experts and the misinformation gained from somebody's 12 year old son who insists on only using MS notepad to do "website coding".

I'm not sure if I have a point to make with this post, but I read Broken Arrow's post, and got angry about people making uninformed decisions.

In other words, we have all been assimilated into Ray.R's Nightmare.

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 56
(8,840 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:
Waiting for your exit interview though?

Contract delivered, 🙂 next job starts Monday.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 26 of 56
(8,866 Views)
Good! I'm currently looking, the trip to Israel that I mentioned this summer as the reason I couldn't go to NIWeek being the finish to a two year project. Glad to hear that the exit interview was for a successful project completion.

Yes, most of us have had variations of Ray's nightmare. Mine was a huge main VI with a multitude of sub-vi's, all of who's icons were black with lettering.

There are two sides to the LabVIEW project expertise. One is knowing how to craft a well structured program, the other is knowing what program to strucure. I worked for quite a while as a contractor at a company that viewed us as sort of IT people, rather than engineers. There were a few times where I had to point out measurement technique errors, or defend desicions, using my knowledge of instrumentation/measurements, where I had a much harder time as I was viewed as a programmer rather than an Electrical Engineer. Then again, I had to defend using LabVIEW rather than their going to VBasic, "there are hundreds of thousands of VB programmers, relatvely few LabVIEW ones". My reponse was to ask how many of the VB programmers understood using a spectrum analyzer (or power supply, etc.)
Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

Message 27 of 56
(8,838 Views)

at my current rate of posts sinces I joined I will not reach 5000 until sometime in July 2013 and I'll probably never reach 10000.. wake me up somebody...

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 56
(8,794 Views)

Ray:

Looks like your avatar and signature have changed during this 'nightmare'!

Will the pumpkin be making a comeback in a few weeks?

Do knight mares have arms?

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 56
(8,778 Views)

Is it nearly that time again....   You never know .....Smiley Wink

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos