BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Message

Hello all -

There has been a request to move some threads that pre-date the BreakPoint to the BreakPoint where they can continue their discussion. While this is technically possible, let me clarify some of the consequences so we can make an informed decision.

For threads that are in the Feedback on NI Discussion Forums, these are pretty easy to move because they are not mirrored to the NNTP newsgroups. My concerns are that existing links to this thread will be broken and possibly all subscription notifications to this thread will be removed as well.

For threads that are in the other boards, these are more difficult because of the NNTP mirror and moving them would mean that existing links would be broken, subscriptions would be lost, and any new posts from NNTP will be lost.

We do have the option to close these discussions (mark them read-only) with a final post that points them to the continued discussion in the BreakPoint. For the threads in the Feedback board, I don't see a problem with this. For the threads in the other boards, I am not sure what will happen to the mirror and I will need to test that before I say if it's possible or not.

My recommendation would be:
1 - Post new messages to the BreakPoint continuing discussions from previous threads. These should probably include thread highlights/recap as well as a link to the entire discussion.
2 - Post closing messages to the existing threads redirecting them to the new thread in the BreakPoint.

Let me know what you all decide, and I will do what I can to make it happen!

Thanks!
Molly K.
Web Support & Operations Manager
National Instruments
Message 21 of 38
(6,891 Views)
Ben -

Since I have access to the number of questions actually being asked in the community, I thought I would jump in on this one...

The number of questions is actually on the rise and the average per month this year is already considerably higher than the average for 2004. The fact that you aren't finding as many leftover questions to answer is a great sign, but it's not because they aren't being asked!

Hope that helps,
Molly K.
Web Support & Operations Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 38
(6,784 Views)
Hi Molly,

I vote for simply marking the thread as read-only with a final message pointing to Breakpoint.
I don't think it is necessary to move anything. Let's not complicate things.

Soon enough, we'll all forget about the original threads.. 😉

Thanks again for BreakPoint. 😄

Ray
Message 23 of 38
(6,887 Views)
Wow.
I just realized something. I must be spending too much time in front of glaring CRTs and LCDs and it's messing with my eyes. Until now I was sure the second letter in the word ducks that CC wrote was i and not u. That may explain my seemingly disgruntulatiated response (it wasn't) and the references to the not Noel Coward song and to Shakespeare to those who wondered about those. I do apologize if Charly felt some discomfort at having insulted us, but hey, he's french, it comes with the territory. Besides, he's going to be much more hurt as soon as he's left behind, anyway, so it was a good practice for him.
Just to make it clear, I'm not hurt.
BTW, I'm very tempted to quote Dennis's post from a week or two ago where he suggested that someone use locals and globals in the proverbs section near his ten commandments.
And while I'm at it, If we make those threads read only, I think we should copy (if possible) the threads into this board and have a message in the read only threads point to the copy of the original (and since CC's excluding this board, it won't even increase our number of replies).

CC would probably call that mistake a Freudian slip.
BTW, those three stars are not from me. I'm gruntled.

Message Edited by tst on 03-29-2005 01:33 AM

Hu tst !
It's not freiduan, ut's astugmatusm. I have a sumular problem wuth o sometumes ocnfised wuth c. Yci shcild ocntaot yci eye dcotcr.
OO

About the stars : I wonder if somebody take us seriously ! May be we should use smileys more systematically ? Anyway, you can add a few more 5's over to make it looking better... 😉

Message Edited by chilly charly on 03-29-2005 01:01 AM

Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 26 of 38
(6,777 Views)
Eye egrea wuht cC...

Two meny huorz en frunt of teh srceen mekse yuro eeys go crzay...!!!

YIKES!!!

😄
Message 27 of 38
(6,741 Views)
Here's scmethung *mcst* men stull need tc learn frcm wcmen - hcw tc shuft the blame tc scmecne else (preferably male). Here's a qiuok example - thus enture epuscde us cf ocirse OO's failt - he shcild have realuzed that the term un englush us igly dioklung and nct igly duok.

Message Edited by tst on 03-29-2005 09:51 AM

tst wrote:...thus enture epuscde us cf ocirse OO's failt - he shcild have realuzed that the term un englush us igly dioklung and nct igly duok.

OK, I apologize again... Anyway, the question about your exact nature (thing, man, woman, both ?, duckling...) has been answered by my ultimate Hello world translator. You have been recognized as being a ... see by yourself !

CC
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 38
(6,747 Views)
Since I don't have the internet toolkit, until you post the updated version of the dictionary, my only response is : Quack Quack.
BTW, using a protected VI and charging stars in order to reveal it isn't obfuscated, that's just blackmail...