From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Signal Encoding from LDF file using XNET

Hi,

I'm trying to read the signal logical text table in a LDF file. The infomation should be marked under the section "Signal_encoding_types". It indicates what the value means for the signal. For instance, a siganl "W_FAILURE" (8 bit) has the following table: "0-No Failure", "1-Hardware failure".

Is it possible to get this out using XNET or any other LIN methods? The LDF file is attached.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(17,659 Views)

Hello!

The XNET API in LabVIEW can open LDF files. They are referred to as Databses.

You will find the functions in the Functions pallette under Measurement I/O > XNET> Database

You will find some examples in the NI Example Finder under

Hardware Input and Output > LIN > NI-XNET > Databases

Also see

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12375/en#toc3

Regards,

Georg

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(17,623 Views)

Hi 

Thanks for the reply!

It was the question because of the LIN Message encoding, which is explicit defined in the LDF file. I need to used this part to decode the messages on the LIN bus. I've known how to read the LDF file (databse). But I didn't find the option to read out the encoding table in XNET.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(17,619 Views)

Does anybody have an answer to this question? I have the same problem: LDF read is OK, but I don't find the right property node for the signal's logical values.

Madottati

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(16,932 Views)

scaling LIN data into a String table value is not support of today by NI-XNET

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(16,930 Views)

in this way you can get the infomation of signal_Encoding_tables

regards

Melo

Enconding_INFO.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(15,178 Views)

Hi,

Like the other guys (wilburwu, EDAG_Ingolstadt and Madottati) I would like to read in a LDF file the signal logical text table that it is marked under the section "Signal_encoding_types".

It seems that in September 2016 (more than 3 ½ years after the opening of this topic) it is still not available with NI-XNET.
I am using NI-XNET 15.5 with LabVIEW 2012 and PXI-8516/2.

Can anybody from NI tell us if one day it will be done ?

I think it's a shame not to have this feature, because as wilburwu wrote a signal "W_FAILURE" (8 bit) has the following table: "0-No Failure", "1-Hardware failure" and it is more convenient to read a text than understanding a number.

Thank you.

Bravi

Message 7 of 14
(12,954 Views)

I can confirm that Signal Encoding Types have not been added to XNET as of version 16.0. 

I will check the list of requested features to make sure signal encoding types is represented and update the request if it is. Unfortunately, I cannot predict if the feature will be implemented in the future or not. 

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(12,876 Views)

As I see, there is an already declined idea in the Idea Exchange:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/XNET-database-editor-show-meaning-of-values/idi-p/3120...

The topic has been declined because nobody has kudoed it.

I created a new idea, please kudo it, maybe NI will take care then:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/XNET-database-editor-show-meaning-of-values/idi-p/3351...

Message 9 of 14
(12,860 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

Hope that it will be done one day : especially as the information exists in the LDF file.

Bravi

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(12,857 Views)